Prologue

Kuroko

"I'm sorry, Tetsu. But if today's game doesn't go well, I really don't know what to do," Aomine looked defeated, his hands gripping tightly on his knees. "I'm afraid I can't enjoy what I loved doing anymore. It's useless."

"Don't say that, Aomine-kun." I frowned.

His blue eyes seemed sad to me when we made eye contact. Even so, Aomine smiled a little, hoping to calm me down. He sighed heavily before getting up from the bench, then hesitantly walked towards me.

"You'll forgive me, right?"

There were a thousand words in my mind, but my lips only managed to let one word out.

"No."

Aomine chuckled, then he patted my shoulder before leaving the locker room.

It was a sign. I knew it was a sign. I shook my head in disbelief. This is it, I thought. This is the end.

The game started with us getting the ball first, as usual. Kise was fast enough to get the ball to Aomine, who was also quick on his feet to get the ball into the hoop. He swiftly brush passed three players, leaving them astonished and glued to the ground. I smiled a little. Maybe there was still hope.

Seeing Aomine playing his best made me calm down a little, though there was still a little of doubt in me.

Thanks to Aomine we easily scored, and unfortunately for the opponent they hadn't had a chance to score even 2 points. I frowned, seeing they were already exhausted when it was only the first half of the game.

I turned to look at the blue-haired boy. He was breathing normally, as if all the jumping and running didn't tire him at all. A frown was sprawled across his face, and I knew Aomine wasn't happy with how the game was going.

Please hold on, Aomine-kun.

When the last bell rang, it was finally the time for the last quarter. The rest of the team still seemed fine, though I wasn't surprised. After all, they were all good players. Too good players.

"What's wrong, Kurokocchi?" Kise wrapped one of his arm around my shoulder. "Why do you look so sad? We're winning, you should be happy."

"I don't want to win like this." I said softly, and I thank God for the noise in the court. Kise didn't hear me, only focusing on the score board.

106 - 11

My chest tightened at the sight, but I tried my best to ignore the painful feeling.

"Tetsu."

I turned around, my eyes meeting a pair of familiar blue ones. I smiled a little, then lifted my fist for a fist bump. Aomine smiled a little, then bumped my fist lightly.

"Are you okay?"

He swallowed the lump in his throat, then flashed me a big smile. I knew it was forced. It was another attempt to make me feel better, but I only felt worst.

"I'm fine, Tetsu, really. I'll hold on for now, okay? I'll play well, I promise."

I nodded my head.

The promise was broken as soon as the game ended, with us leading on 120 - 16. The other members were cheering, especially Kise, but Aomine on the other hand was standing so far away from us, hands gripping tightly into a fist. The opponent gave up after realising that they'll never beat us, and this made Aomine angry.

"Aomine-kun..."

"I can't deal with this anymore. It's too easy."

The walk back to our locker room was a difficult one. I waited until the others left, only leaving both Aomine and I alone before I took a deep breath and walked towards him.

Aomine's shoulders were shaking, his lips pursed tightly against each other. I quietly sat next to him, silently hoping I wasn't making him more mad.

Aomine leaned on me, then let out a sigh.

"Will I ever find someone better than me?"

I stayed silent.

"People giving up so easily... It's making basketball boring. I need someone as good as me, Tetsu, someone much stronger than I am."

"You'll meet him one day, Aomine-kun."

"What if that one day never comes? And I end up hating basketball?"

"You won't." I frowned.

"Well, yeah?" He moved away. "Maybe I will."

The silence between us was heavy, and I felt as if my heart was going to burst out of my chest. Suddenly it was harder to breathe, and I found myself letting out a heavy sigh. Aomine turned to me.

"Tetsu."

I looked at him with confusion.

"If I... do end up hating basketball, will you still be here with me?"

"What kind of question is that?"

"I don't want you to leave me, Tetsu."

I didn't respond.

Aomine only smiled sadly as he stared at the red locker in front of him. There was no way I could leave him. He was my best friend, and he was very special to me. I frowned, knowing if I let the truth out, we'll be separated for real. Sometimes it was better to keep things the way they were, and sometimes words were better left unsaid.

"There's something I need to tell you."

My heart clenched.

"Since the day I met you," Aomine continued. "I've always thought you were something else. You didn't have the talent to play basketball, yet you never gave up." He looked at me and smiled again. "That's what I always admired about you, Tetsu. You're a strong person."

"We've come this far because of you, and I know I'll probably hate myself if I quit basketball just because I'm so good at it. I'm still not satisfied, though, but I trust you."

"Trust me for what?" I asked in a hushed tone.

"You said I'll meet someone better than me one day, so I'm trusting you with that." He glanced to the ceiling.

"I like you, Tetsu."

What?

Aomine noticed the way I was looking at him, then he laughed and ruffled my hair.

"God, you're so clueless sometimes."

I could feel my cheeks burning in embarrassment while my hair was getting messed up by the blue-haired boy. I gazed into his eyes, and noticed regret and sadness. Slowly his smile faded and he stopped his actions.

"But I really do like you," He confessed. "I'm holding on now because I don't want you to leave me. I like you, Kuroko Tetsuya. "