Chapter Twenty-Four

Kuroko

I did the first thing that came up to my mind, because being the quiet and insecure boy I was, I knew I wasn't going to run to Kagami and beg him to stay. I just wasn't that type of person, and sometimes I hated being like that.

I watched silently and painfully as the red-headed boy that I've grown to love so deeply walked away without turning back. I was wishing he did, because I was still confused about what was going on. How could he just leave me like that after what has happened? Was it because of jealousy? But Kagami was never jealous.

Kise's eyes widened when he saw me walking up to him. He got up from his seat and waited for me. I instantly wrapped my arms around him and sobbed when he hugged me back.

"What's wrong, Kurokocchi?" He asked worriedly and I felt a few eyes landed on me. "What happened?"

My thoughts were mixed and my lips couldn't process the words that I wanted to tell him. So he stayed silent after that, gently rubbing comforting circles on my back. I felt bad for Kise, since I keep running to him every single time something bad happens. Like I said before, he was my shoulder to cry on.

"Did Aominecchi hurt you again?"

I shook my head. It was a different reason this time, but somehow I couldn't get the words out of my mouth. I continued to bawl my eyes out.

"Kise —" The familiar voice made me gasped and I instantly pulled away from the blond, roughly wiping my tears away. Aomine walked towards us with a worried look, hands then gently caught mine as he studied me.

"What's wrong, Tetsu?"

My chest squeezed painfully and I fixed my swollen eyes to the tiled floor. Some of the Kaijo members got up and left the room, thinking we needed some privacy.

"It's nothing." I breathed before taking my hands away from his grip. He didn't fight me.

"Where's Kagami?" He asked again, and I can't help but notice the slight anger in his tone. I flinched at the mention of his name and the two boys noticed. They must've known what caused me to be like this already.

"Aominecchi," Kise gulped. "Before you do anything stupid, let's just stay here first and comfort Kurokocchi, yeah? We don't need anymore problems tonight."

"Please..." I pleaded softly, and Aomine's eyes softened a little. He sighed heavily and angrily sat on the seat.

Once I calmed down, I explained what happened after we left the hospital a few minutes ago. Kise and I had a hard time trying to calm Aomine down. It was like dealing with another Kagami, and it scared me how the two resembled each other so much. They were so different yet so similar.

"I'm fine now," I croaked. "I'll try talking to him tomorrow. I'm sure he's just tired and..."

"And jealous." Kise finished, but I didn't deny it.

Aomine and I were left alone when the blond decided to go get drinks for us, since we were planning on staying longer for his captain's surgery results. I knew most probably I wouldn't be able to fall asleep tonight, so I might as well stay over and give the company that Kise needed.

It was awkward and the tension was thick at first, and it became even more suffocating when Aomine took my hand and held it against his. I blushed a little, but I didn't make the effort to pull my hand away. I was tired.

"I'm sorry again," He whispered. "I know I've apologised, but I'm saying it again. I'm sorry, Tetsu."

"It's... fine now," I sighed. "What happened to us is all in the past now. Let's not talk about it anymore."

He let go of my hand and leaned his head against the wall, letting out another heavy sigh. "You don't deserve the bad things in life, Tetsu, but I've already gave you one of them — heartbreak."

"That's not true, Aomine-kun," I frowned. "I'm a human being too, and everyone will experience heartbreak at least once. Not all of us are perfect."

"I promised to make you happy."

"And you did," I smiled weakly at him, hoping it would ease his feelings. "There were days that I was really happy, so stop focusing on the bad ones. I loved you, remember? My feelings were real."

Aomine stayed silent after that. Kise came back with a few cans of cold coffee and some buns. It was going to be a long night, and we definitely needed those to stay up and awake.

My heart was beating normally, but somehow with every beat I felt it breaking. I didn't know whether it was because of Kagami, or Aomine.

I became lost, and stuck.