5|A World I Want To See

I look out of the window of the living room. It was raining, the drops were heavy and they were dropping down pretty hard. The ground was covered in dirt and mud.

I turn the handle of the window, and open it. The rain began to drip on my skin and the sleeve of my shirt.

I look out of the window, seeing a pretty butterfly in an ombre color from dark purple to light.

I open my mouth in excitement and place my hand out, waiting for the butterfly to lay on my hand.

The rain was cold but it felt good.

The butterfly was flying over to me, about to come to me and lay on my hand but it flew away when I hear someone's loud voice.

"LUKA!"

I turn around, pulling my hand away.

Mom came running down the stairs.

"You just came from the hospital. Do you really want to catch a cold?"

I turn around and close the window shut. I turn back to her.

"Mom.. I just."

"What's wrong?" She asks.

I shrug my shoulders and turn back to the window.

"I just.. I.." I look deeply at the glass of the window, spotting my sad reflection. "I'm bored."

"Then play guitar.. Or.. Watch a movie!"

I place my index finger on the glass of the window and trace the outline of my reflection.

"I.. I want to go out."

"And catch a cold?"

"No. Mom.. Sometimes you don't even understand me."

"What? What are you saying?" She sadly says.

"I.. Want.. I want to chase my dreams of being a guitarist."

"But you promised-"

I know, Mom. I know. I promised Father the day he left that I'll become whatever he wants me to become to save myself.

"But.." I place my hands on the window. "I want to get back into playing the guitar more often!"

"But-"

I interrupt Mom and say, "Also, Sis, Juleka wants to be an artist! Do you not want to help her chase her dreams?"

I turn to look at Mom who seemed like she wants to give up, "Luka, I want you to.."

"Please Mom! I want to see the world and be like Jagged Stone!" I say. "I want Juleka to make her dream come true!"

"Please Mom!" I ask her with pain. "Mom, if you say yes I'll go but if you refuse, I'll stay here."

A tear rolls down her eye, "Oh Luka!"

She runs towards me, wrapping her arms around me, "Luka! Do whatever you want! Just make your Mama proud!"

With happiness, I grin and I look over at front and see Juleka who was smiling.

"And we'll travel somewhere else and Juleka will get what she wants!"

I let go of Mom's grip and jump up and down in excitement, "Oh, thank you Mom! I love you! You're the best!"