{Song -  꿈 by EXO}

     It's dark, and the air is bitterly cold against my exposed arms. My legs feel like giving in and dropping down to the ground, but my feet stay persistent slowly moving forward one step at time.

     In the distance ahead of me, there are rows of poorly lit buildings. They are my destination. But no matter how long or how far I walk, I never get any closer to them.

     I put my weight on my left foot, and my leg crumples like paper sending me onto my knees. The dirt sinks a little under my palms and feels rough against my skin.

     Something grabs my shoulder, making me shudder, and I swing my arm as if it's just a fly that'll leave me alone with a little motivation.

     "Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you." The voice is deep and soft against my ears, and I raise my head. I try to examine the guy standing next to me, but I can barely make out any details without any light. "Are you alright?" he asks.

     "I'm fine," I say forcing my legs to support me. I stand and wipe the dirt on my hands onto my already filthy jeans.

     "Here," the guy says starting to take off his coat. "It's freezing." The long material hangs from his hand as he waits for me to grab it.

     I stare for a long second before taking the coat into my hands and wrapping it around my shoulders like a cape. "What's your name?" he asks stuffing his hands in his pockets.

     I open my mouth to answer, but I can't think of what to say. I try to search through my thoughts looking for what should be easy to recall. But nothing comes up. "I don't. . .I don't know," I say lost in my own mind.

     "Exzel." I look up at the stranger, and his mouth shifts into a smile. "My name is Exzel."

     We reach the buildings and walk into the town together. I'm not certain what I'm looking for, and I don't know where Exzel is going. But it doesn't seem like this ghost town has anything to offer anyone, lost or otherwise.

     All of the buildings are dressed in darkness. The only sources of light comes from the small street lamps struggling to brighten the area around them.

     A small building with the word 'Reminisce' above its entrance stands out amongst the gloom. It is the only place with its lights on, and the lights slowly shift from one color to another.

     I step inside with Exzel close behind to see the place is setup like a gallery with white walls and a matching floor. Drawings and paintings hang on the walls and objects sit on pedestals scattered throughout the space.

     "What is this place?" I ask mainly to myself.

     "Welcome! Welcome," an older man with a bare head says, standing behind a glass counter wearing a white suit. "How are you two doing this evening?" he asks with a beaming smile.

     "Can we have some water?" Exzel asks. The man pulls out a bottled water, handing it to Exzel, and he gives it to me. "Do you need to sit?" he asks me, gesturing towards the couch in the middle of the gallery.

     The water soothes the dryness in my throat as I rest my legs. Exzel continues standing by the counter talking to the happy man. Curious, I look around at some of the things in the gallery.

     The objects on the pedestals look like little toys and dolls that a child would play with. They don't seem to belong on display in a gallery, but my eye catches on a painting hanging in front of me.

     I float over to let my eyes take in the small painting of a beach at sunrise. Its colors contrast against each other but still manage to blend together so beautifully. The oranges and blues form a type of effortless harmony.

     "Do you like it?" Exzel asks stepping next to me.

     ". . .It looks familiar," I say, trying to access a part of my mind that's locked off.

     "Sir, can she have this?" Exzel asks the man behind the counter.

     "Of course," he says happily. Exzel reaches up and takes the painting off the wall.

     "I can't- It's probably expensive," I say, shaking my head.

     "It's yours," Exzel says, holding it out to me with a smile.

     His smile makes a spot at the center of my chest tingle, and I smile nervously. "Thanks." I reach out to grab the painting but see the dirt still on my skin and pull back.

     "What's wrong?" Exzel asks furrowing his brows.

     "Uhm, is there a restroom here?" I ask, looking around the gallery.

     The man at the counter chimes in and says, "In the back."

     I look down at the painting then up at Exzel. "I'll hold onto it for you," he says smiling again.

     In the bathroom, I look into the mirror wondering if I'll recognize what looks back at me, but I don't. The messy chestnut hair and pale skin don't feel like mine. The girl in the mirror is just as much of a stranger as Exzel or the happy man.

     I clench my hands around the edges of the sink, realizing that the oldest memory in my possession is walking through the darkness just moments ago.

     Forcing myself out of my head, I turn the water on letting it wash over my hands. Whatever's happening, I know I'll figure it out. The painting seemed to connect me to something.

     The faucet suddenly shuts off on its own, and the ground starts shaking viciously. I hold onto the sink to keep my balance, but cracks spread across the floor like lightning bolts. They split wider and wider till the floor gives way.

     Shrieking as I drop, fear pierces every part of my body. I'm swallowed up in an abyss, falling down into absolute darkness. A whistle fills my ears, and it's the only thing with me until it stops.

The story continues next. . .

{Thanks for reading}

This book is a collection of short stories inspired by a variety of songs.
Feel free to vote if you liked what you read and/or comment if you feel like speaking your mind.