Getting Closer

Krishna stood silently in the alleyway of a countryside town. Dim streetlights illuminated the buildings that were made of deteriorating brown wood.

'It hasn't changed a bit. In fact, I think it got worse.'

She peaked her head out of the wall. The street was occupied by poor farmers busking about the night; walking in and out of bars. Then, a man who wore a headband of The Land of Whirlpools, turned into the alley.

'Damn, have I been spotted?'

She put on a smile and tried to act natural. He sauntered closer until finally letting out a whisper.

"How's the weather?"

She let out a sigh of relief.

"The sun is shining despite the cold winter....You must be Felix Chakrov?"

He smiled and walked closer to her. He was the leader of the rebel group she was in contact with ever since leaving for a solo 'mission' a few months ago.

"Yes, and you must be Krishna. Nice to meet you."

He removed his military hat and his light brown hair fluttered down to his shoulders. His dark brown eyes gazed at her with happiness. He looked the same age as Kakashi. This time a real officer entered the alley behind them.

"Our group is waiting back at the hideout. We'll discuss our plans once we reach. Don't worry about the officers guarding this city..."

"Hey! Wud are yu guyz doin round here?"

"As you can see, they're all wasted."

He turned to the officer with a smile.

"There is no problem sir, we were just talking about our family."

"Don't be goin in the back alley dumbass. You lookin suspicouze~"

Krishna nodded and they both bowed to the drunken officer before exiting the alley. Even more drunk officers lined the cobblestone road. Anyone could tell they were not serious about their job. Krishna smirked.

'Their carelessness is our victory.'

Up ahead in front of a worn down confectionary store she noticed a little girl sitting solemnly on the cold floor, and it reminded her of herself. She was about to take off her jacket to give to the girl, but Felix grabbed her arm and shook his head. He whispered:

"I want to help her too, but it would be suspicious if we helped a citizen dressed as the military."

Krishna nodded just as the girl looked up at her. Her eyes showed pain and suffering. Krishna sighed and moved on with a fierce gaze. The little girl cast her head back down and squeezed her arms around her knees.

They walked further down the street and into a loud bar. Jazz music was booming and people sat on booths chatting their lives away; ignoring the detriment of their country. The loud music and neon lights distracted Krishna too. She reminisced about the time when she and Theodore would dance outside because they were too young to go in. As she looked at the waitress dressed in an extremely tight dress, she remembered the woman who would bring them leftover bread and soup from the kitchen.

"This way. The rest of the group is waiting." Felix called.

She cast the memory away and followed him downstairs into a basement. The music faded out until it was completely silent. Krishna was confused because the basement looked ordinary, but she could sense the chakra of five other people, although she couldn't see them.

"I can sense strong chakra presences other than yours. Your hideout must be behind one of these walls right?"

He was shocked but soon a smirk climbed onto his face.