Four

Part four: parents

"Are you sure you've got everything?" Jungkook asked Jisoo for the tenth time today. Probably for the hundredth time this week. Every single time Jisoo had to assure Jungkook that she had everything. Jungkook knew it too. He had helped her pack her belongings.

"Yes, appa!" Jisoo rolled her eyes. She wasn't annoyed. If anything, she was holding back the tears that were bound to slip once her family left. It wasn't like Jisoo to call him appa but he was being too much of a parent lately. Jisoo felt compelled to call him appa once—at least. Jungkook deserved that.

"Alright, you two. Let's go eat. Then you can settle in your dorm." Jin interfered before they became emotional or start an argument for old times sake. Jin knew Jungkook's feelings about this whole process. Jin couldn't say he wasn't upset because he was. He shared some of Jungkook's thoughts. Jin was trying to be strong. Show that he had confidence in his oldest daughter to survive the trials of college. Remember that he raised a good young lady.

"Where do you want to go?" Jin asked his oldest daughter.

"I don't know. Let's go around and find a place." They hopped in the family van once again. This time they had more leg room. More space to stretch out their limbs. Jisoo's belongings were in her dorm: crowding her dorm, no longer here.

"This is better." Tae sighed feeling the cold air conditioner blast in the van. Tae had room to take up and make himself comfortable.

"Papa!" Jennie yelled as Tae was playing with her. She was grouchy from being woken up.

"Tae, stop that. You know she doesn't like to play like that. You're asking to wake up the kids. Trust me I'll have you help out appa if you don't calm down." SeokJin scolded his son.

"Appa," Tae whined to Jungkook. He hoped Jungkook would be on his side.

"You heard your papa. Sit down quietly." Tae could almost hear what wasn't said, "You know Jennie doesn't like to play like that. Why do you do that?" He was thankful Jungkook didn't say it.

"It's so weird that none of us call you Kookie anymore. You're an appa now. Even though you were always kind of ours." Rose decided to change the topic. She had recently made the observation.

"Now, Jisoo is off to college. You just came back. You're actually staying this time. Right? You're not going to leave?" Rose looked at Jungkook waiting for answers. He didn't understand the questioning. He had been with them a while now and things were fairly smooth. So, why would she ask?

"I hope to be here a long time. You're my family. I don't have a reason to go anywhere." Jungkook tried to look at Jin for help. Jungkook wasn't sure what Rose wanted him to answer. The question seemed to have a deeper root.

"Jungkook will figure out what he wants to do. We just have to be patient with your appa. Let's stop and enjoy our last day with Jisoo, for now. She won't be back until the holidays," Jin answered his call for help.

"We all know Jungkook is going to end up with papa. It's pretty obvious. Even appa knew that." For Jisoo there was no question it would happen. It was only a matter of when it would happen. Jimin had felt it coming when Jungkook announced his pregnancy to the Kim family. Jin became distant, after the news. Jisoo knew it too because, as usual, she tried to be aware of everyone and everything in the house.

Everyone could see it happening. Maybe not when. It just seemed they were never available at the same time. Either it being emotionally, or they were in relationships. There was something between them that would always be magnetic. One always pulling towards the other. Like two halves that belonged together. Maybe both of the halves broken. But nothing a safety pin couldn't fix.