16| A Family Gathering.

SEEING BLIND

16|A Family Gathering.

"I feel like I'm over dressed," Annie mumbled into her phone as she walked the familiar route to Luke's house. She was still sceptical about going to this BBQ which Annie was certain she wasn't actually invited too.

"I know you look beautiful," Luke smiled to himself, following the banister down the stairs and saying a quick hello to whoever it was that passed him. He leant against the wall next to the front door, waiting excitedly for his girlfriend to arrive. "Stop worrying, babe."

Annie sighed, she loved when Luke gave her pet names like that. She fiddled with the strap on her bag as she approached the door, biting her lip before knocking once. Luke happily opened it, smiling widely at- hopefully- his girl.

"Hello gorgeous," Luke beamed, so overjoyed with her presence. Annie shuffled forward, leaning up in her shoes and pecking his lips sweetly. Luke couldn't handle just a peck though, he couldn't help but need a little more. Annie chuckled against his lips as he pulled her closer by her waist, squeezing her so tight, causing her to squeal and squirm.

"Oh, Annie, what're you doing here?" Liz spoke from behind them, her voice seeming nice, but Annie knew better. She didn't understand why Liz had this random disliking towards her, she wasn't too sure what she had done to upset her. Making out with her son when she was supposed to be tutoring him probably wasn't the best of scenes to walk into.

"um, Luke invited me." Annie didn't want to get Luke in trouble, but she was also slightly scared of his mother.

"Did he now? Even though he knew it was a family gathering?" Liz seethed through her teeth, glaring at her blind son.

Annie's eyes widened at the mention of it being a 'family' gathering, Luke had just told her it was a normal BBQ. Annie's blush could probably be seen through her makeup, which Carla very kindly helped her with. Yet Carla liked to remind her how Luke was blind, and it didn't actually matter what she looked like, but it didn't take much to look nice anyway.

"Oh yeah! That reminds me, I think you'll really like Aunt Marie, she's really cool." Luke chimed, intertwining his hands with Annie's, and tugging her inside, past his judging mother and into the closest room.

Annie could hear the music playing from outside when she was at the front door, which she should have recognised as more than a few people would be attending. She tugged at her dress, now feeling possibly even under dressed now given the occasion.

"Why didn't you tell me it was a family gathering?" She wanted to yell at him, but she knew that would get them nowhere, she also didn't want to make a scene.

"Because you wouldn't have come." Luke pouted, brushing her hair with his fingers.

"Obviously because I'm not family."

"You could be," Luke wanted to say, "one day." Because if she stayed with him through this, through him being a blind mess, then he wanted to stick with her forever.

When he woke up at 3:27 this morning, all he could think about was Annie, whether or not this relationship was real. He couldn't think of a reasonable explanation as to why she was with him other than actually liking him. She wouldn't be gaining anything from this relationship, which made Luke feel ill from the inside out.

"Luke?" Annie placed her palm on his cheek, rubbing with her painted nails along his skin. His dad helped him shave this morning, so his skin was smooth and spotless for Annie to feel.

"Yeah? Right- yeah. Well, my brothers bring their girlfriends all the time, it's only fair I do too. And I want you to meet some people." He shook his previous thoughts from his head, furrowing his brows and forgetting the future for now. "C'mon."