Chapter 17 Mind vs Fire

Start from the beginning

The game had a time limit and by the end of it we had only lost by one person. Even though I had decided against going all out for it I had tried to help discreetly (apparently I wasn't too fond of loosing either, think it might be a running trait upon the POEs).

Redoing my ponytail I turned to see that the other game had just finish as well. The team that Joan was in had won and I gave her a thumbs-up, which she returned with a big smile. I put my hands on my hips as Miss Clarke ordered the wining team to move to the other court and the losing team to come over.

As the other team walked towards us I realised that Tom Triole was there as well. He happened to catch my eyes as he walked by and gave me an equally bewildered look. How could his team lost with him there?

His group settled into position opposite our team. I turned around and listened to my team talk about our strategies for this game. I was simply allocated to the front left because of my telekinesis but they didn't ask me to do anything out of the ordinary. I smirked, amused to know that they were too intimidated by me to ask me to do anything. I was building up quite a reputation here.

'On my count.' Miss Clarke said, distributing the balls by floating them in the center once again and I looked across to realise that the other team had positioned Tom right against me. He was looking at me with his signature frown. I couldn't help but scowl back at him, what was this guy's problem? He acted like everyone in the world had offended him.

The whistle went off, this time I managed to get hold of the ball in front of me, seeing as how Tom's power had absolutely nothing to do with telekinesis. His frown deepened and I gave him a victorious smile, before sending the ball his way.

He immediately tensed and went into a fighting position, but instead of hitting him the ball did a curve and hit the guy behind him with lightning speed.

The look on his face was priceless. I tried to choke back my laughter but some still escaped. Tom shot me a glare and gestured to the boy who got hit to hand him the ball.

Game on. He mouthed to me with a sexy smirk. Okay, I really needed to stop these perverted thoughts of mine about Tom Triole. Shaking my head to clear away those gross thoughts I focused on Tom Triole as he took a careful aim and threw the ball towards me.

The ball erupted in flame as it flew towards me; the heat was so intense that I could feel it about five meters away. It's a miracle that the ball was still whole. My eyes widened as I tried to think of a possible way to deflect the blow or put out the flame, was he trying to kill me?

Fire. Think, what are the ways of putting out a fire without involving water? I raked my brain. Air. God I am such an idiot! Wrapping a mind wall around the ball I tried to draw all the air out of there but failed. I moaned in frustration, feeling precious seconds ticking away as the ball came closer to me. I still had a lot to learn about my power. So instead I did the next best thing. Return it back to its sender.

Mustering enough force to change its momentum on the ball, it changed direction and whoosh back towards Tom. He raised his eyebrow at me and received the ball with ease. He spin the ball on his index finger, and snickered. It was eerie, and yet entrancing how his finger and the ball were enveloped in the orange, flickering flame but were completely unharmed.