Chapter 7: Caffeine

Start from the beginning

I sat down by a table near the counter and waited a bit for something to happen. Nothing significant happened, apparently, except for the yellow sky darkening and the day becoming night.

The nightlamps lit up outside as I sat still for an hour.

"Ugh... I can't stand this."

I grabbed a sachet of cappucino from the shelf behind the counter and made my own cup of it.

On the counter was a thermos, which already had hot water for me. The dispenser at the left side was empty so this thermos is the last reserve of water here in the shop.

Remembering that I was in a dream, I took a peek at the thermos just to make sure nothing pops out of there.

To my surprise, there was steam coming out but no water...

"What kind of sick joke is THIS?!"

I'm just frustrated I never got my coffee...

But out of the thermos appeared a misty figure of a woman. Then eyes appeared on what appeared to be the head. They glowed a sapphire blue and they stared back at me like it wants to eat me.

Menacing but it feels so calming at the same time.

"I am no threat to you, human."

Just hearing her speak scared the bananas out of me! This ghostly figure is talking to me but it feels like she is no threat.

"Who are you?"

"I'm Irvin. Irvin Chancell. Who or... what are you?"

"I'm the last thing that's living in this wretched town. Something took away the life out of it."

I placed my cup down to signal her that I wanted to listen.

"There are beasts everywhere!" Her cries seemed to become strained and demon-like.

A lost soul, perhaps, I thought.

"I-is there anyway I can put your soul at rest?"

"No. This town's lost. I'm dead and so will you. Leave before--"

A bell rang from the door.

Someone must have entered.

I saw a silhoette of...

The same Nightmare that was chasing me...

Its canine teeth gnashing right at me and it switches its eyes on to the poor soul.

Its legs and forearms readied to pounce at me and the ghost.

It became rainy.

A clap of thunder pierced my ears.

The ghostly woman seemed unfazed at the sight of the wolf as it stares, intent on killing us both.

It leaped. Its claws begin to extend as I turned away.

I didn't want to see myself die. But it was a dream. But...

What if it isn't just a dream?

Will I be killed by this fiend of my imagination?

I just closed my eyes and embraced my end.

Or was it...

I was motionless. And so was the ghost and the wolf. His jaws were near my head but the rest of him was floating in the air like time had stopped.

Rain still poured. The lightning flashed before me as it revealed the maddened Nightmare in front of me.

The ghost finally moved. Her ghostly form returned. As I approached her, she looked over my shoulder to see the Nightmare, as still as a statue.

She told me this:

"I told you. It's too dangerous here. These things may keep you up all night on your way. But just to let you know, there are forces protecting you."

As she said those last words, she blended into the mist that was outside the shop. Her eyes, staring right at me, faded.

I took a step towards the door, looking back at the pretty coffee shop. It was a thrill. A scare. And I'm still alive.

Now I know how dangerous this place is. Nowhere am I safe from those things and whatever this... dream world is gonna give me.

I took a step out into the rain and made a left. I know that leads me out. It's the same hill I tumbled down to the bottom.

Or was it?