Brothers At War: Chapter Eight

The sound of my phone ringing brought me crashing back to reality with a bang.

I was plain and simple Sophie Peterson who hated stuck-up and over-cocky Marcus Barnes.

So why the hell did I let him kiss me? And, worse than that, why the hell did I enjoy it?

“Sorry. I have to get this.” I muttered, pulling me hands away from his chest to remove my phone from my pocket; I was relieved when I saw that it was my sister’s name appearing on the screen rather than someone from work.

“Carry on.” he smiled as he took a seat on his bed and continued to look at me with a satisfied grin before I turned my back on him and answered the call.

“Are you deliberately ignoring me?” my sister complained down the phone.

Annabelle was the total opposite of me. She was everything I wished I could be but was too scared to try being.

She was beautiful, but it wasn’t just her looks. She had the personality, the ability to be able to take joke and she could always tell when it had gone too far. She loved the attention she got from the male population, even if some of it was negative and downright disgusting; she still loved it.

She was a great catch and she was going to make someone the perfect wife one day.

“Hi ‘Belle. I’ve missed you too.” I chuckled quietly, realising just how much I was missing home and what I would give to be able to hug her right now; tell her how much I love her to her face.

“You know, if a phone is too complicated for you…” she trailed off arrogantly.

“I was just ignoring you ‘Belle.” I replied, turning my head over my shoulder to steal a quick glance at the person sitting on the bed, busying himself with something on his own phone. A small smile replaced the grimace which had previously been there, and I still wasn’t sure why I was feeling like this or why he had such a heart-stopping effect on me when I knew he was a player; I was probably just another piece in his game and I was an idiot to fall for all of that. “What’s up?”

“I hate it here Soph. My roommate is an ass, I’m failing and I just miss home.” she quickly uttered and, if I didn’t know better, then I would say she was about to burst into tears.

“What happened? You loved it at the start of the year and said there was no place you’d rather be.”

“I don’t know. I guess, maybe, I kind of, definitely got distracted.” she sighed; hearing the door close in the background I assumed she must have wanted to talk to me without someone walking in on her, but I was surprised to hear what she was saying.

She had always been the smarter one of us two. She never got distracted, and she never let anything get in the way of what she wanted; not even her friends which is why she spent most of Senior School on her own because she continued to push away the people who cared about her. She had the right mindset to keep on the path which she wanted to be on.

Distracted?” I questioned incredulously. My pitch going up way higher than it should have done, but I needed to know what she meant. This wasn’t like her and it must have been something serious for her to want to leave. “What’s his name?”

“Bl-- Wait? How did you know it was a boy?” she enquired.

“You never get distracted from anything, no matter how small. So, either it has to be a boy or you’re involved in something illegal.” I laughed because she seemed to forget that I knew her so much better than she knew herself - I had always been able to read her like a book while, where I was concerned, she had always had to take her time to work out the right things to say to me since she could never tell simply by looking, or by listening.