Brothers At War: Chapter Seven

"Ready?” Marcus spoke quickly, making me jump slightly as he appeared behind me.

He wasn’t even bothering to make the effort which he usually made when he was around the female population. In fact, by Marcus’ standards, he was actually rather well dressed in his white t-shirt - clinging to his muscles and showing off all the smaller features of his body which he usually kept hidden.

The jeans and leather jacket complimenting each other perfectly.

I pushed the thoughts I was having to one side long enough to be able to reply to his question.

“I suppose so. Where are you taking me?” I questioned, following him across the garden towards the trees at the bottom. I only just about managed to keep up with him since he was going that quick, it was obvious that he didn't want someone to see him with me.

I wasn't sure if that was a good thing, or if he just wanted me alone wIthout any interruptions from people so he could try something funny.

“I guess you’ll just have to wait and see, won’t you?” he laughed from in front of me.

“Are you taking me to a secret place?” I chuckled, some part of me hoping that Matt would spot the two of us running across the garden with each other; all thoughts of his reaction filling my head as I smiled to myself.

I knew he would be more than jealous, he wouldn’t know what to say and neither would I.

I mean, I am breaking all of my rules now and I am running around with a person a despise; he’s a shell of everything which I hate in the male population and I couldn’t put my finger on why I was feeling myself strangely attracted to him.

“Yeah. I’ve not shown many people this place, but it’s where I used to spend my days when I was younger. I always used to hide here when I was in trouble, or when I just wanted to get away from Matt.” he replied, his fingers suddenly finding mine without warning as he dragged me towards the trees. To me, it didn’t seem like there was much of a way through, but he knew where he was going; this was where he spent all of his time as a child.

We walked through a few gaps in the clearing, and I was amazed by what I actually saw.

Marcus had created himself a small home here. It had everything you needed to be able to stay there for a couple of days without having to go back to the house; I could imagine the fun he had out here when he was a child and needed to hide away.

There was a bed in the corner, which was covered in the same black and white as the beds in the house. Beside the bed, there was a small table which was covered in some of his belongings, while at the end of the bed there was a small cupboard which was filled with dry food and drink.

The entire thing had been covered in something which resembled a gazebo, but it was low enough down that it remained hidden by the trees surrounding it; no one was going to know it was here unless they knew and they weren’t going to be able to find it unless they were looking for it.

“You did all of this?” I asked, still looking around in awe; surprised that he would want to show me - of all people - this place. The place which clearly held so many secrets for him, but held so much happiness at the same time.

“I had some help from my father before he died. He was the only one who knew this is where I would hide, but he never told my mother or Matt.” he smiled, taking a seat on the edge of the bed; inviting me to sit beside him.

“It’s amazing. I could just imagine you playing here as a kid.” I chuckled, looking around the space in much greater detail, thinking of all the games he would have played here with his father.