Brothers At War: Chapter Four

One week down. Only two more to go.

That’s all I kept thinking about.

Counting down the days until I could leave here.

By the end of this week, Matt would have renewed his vows. He would be celebrating the start of his life again with the woman that he loved, and he had invited me to see it just so he could stab me right where it hurt.

Then, in two weeks time, the party and pleasantries shall all be over.

I’ll be able to go home and act like the last three weeks had never happened; pretend that I didn’t have Matt rubbing his happiness in my face and push away all thoughts of Marcus trying it on with me at every opportunity he got.

Marcus hadn’t spoken to me though since my encounter with him and, as for Matt, well he was just being an immature idiot.

I’d caught him looking at me more than once, but he didn’t have the guts to actually come over and speak to me.

I don’t know what I would do since all it took was him saying my name to make me run off crying.

That’s because you still love him and believe you have a chance with him. You need to accept it’s never going to happen and then you might actually be able to get on with the rest of your life.

I still don’t know why I was so hooked on him, or why I wanted him as much as I did when he had made his point more than clear.

I was just a small piece in his giant puzzle. I was there when he needed someone to talk to or when he needed someone to spend the night with but, other than that, I was worth nothing to him.

Today I was told, not asked, told that I was to spend the entire day with Am-whats-her-name. I was given a piece of paper which told me the time I was to meet her, which was then followed with another piece of paper that told me everything we were going to be doing together.

Horse riding being the first thing on that list.

Horse riding being the first thing on my list of things which I hate.

***

I walked down the stairs, seeing she was already waiting there for me; hanging off Matt’s arm like he was going to leave her the moment she let go. The look she gave me told me she didn’t like me and today wasn’t going to be anything other than trouble - it was, however, perfect for me because it meant that she might not actually open her mouth all day.

“Nice of you to finally join us Sophie.” she stated, tapping her watch to tell me I was half hour later than I should have been.

She was, like I had expected her to be, stuck-up, over sophisticated and obnoxious. She was your typical spoilt brat who got whatever she wanted with the click of her fingers.

She was the type of girl who had a daddy that would do anything to ensure his perfect princess got everything she wanted.

I could already tell I wasn’t going to like her and she was the type of person I was going to want to push off a cliff, making sure there were some very sharp rocks right at the bottom.

“Sorry. I couldn’t sleep last night.” I sighed, and I wasn’t lying either.

After my little conversation with Marcus, I simply laid in bed with memories and thoughts buzzing all over the place.

I was beginning to miss home and everything I could do there without people watching my every single step.

If I could have got on a plane home last night, then I would have done; but there would have been no forcing my mother to leave this place. She feels like she’s in heaven and she’s loving every second of it.