Brothers At War: Chapter Six

Daily reminder.

Matt renews his vows in three days time.

The countdown had been getting rapidly closer since the beginning of the week and I’m sure it was coming at me quicker than I wanted it to; I'm almost certain that God was laughing at me right now as he used his powers to speed up day and night.

Why couldn’t it have been next week?

I would have been able to make my escape the day before it all happened then. There would be no problems on either side, and I could go back to muddling through with my life; waiting for the right person to turn up.

My thoughts then flickered back to last night and what Marcus had said to me.

Share some of your mother’s concerns.

What the hell did that even mean? If she could share her concerns with Marcus, then surely she could share them with me.

I am, after all, only her daughter. So, it’s not anything important.

Anyone would think there was something wrong with me but, if there was, then it would only be my mother’s fault. If she had been there when I was younger rather than vanishing every single day, leaving my older sister to look after me, then I may have been a better person; I could have been someone my mother was actually proud of and she wouldn’t need to put me down on a daily basis.

I could have been the daughter she wanted rather than the daughter she regretted.

“Knock. Knock.” Marcus spoke hurriedly, walking into the room without even bothering to wait for an answer.

“What do you want?” I asked, not holding back on the coldness of my tone. I was busy over-analysing the situation and I didn’t need him distracting me from that when I was only just getting to the bottom of the reason why I was the way that I am.

“Have you forgotten? I am heartbroken.” he laughed.

“I’m not in the mood for your games, Marcus. What do you want?” I sighed, pushing myself from the bed and closing the door which he had decided he was going to leave open for the whole world to see what was happening in here.

“I am here to share your mother’s concerns with you, but if--”

“What did I just say?” I snapped.

He knew something which I didn’t and he was going to tell what he talked about with my mother last night, and exactly what she told him about him; since my life was none of his concern or business.

“Look, before I tell you this, remember that she was drunk. I also didn’t ask her anything, she simply came out with it before I had time to stop her.”

I sighed, putting my hand to my temple; rubbing it in a lame attempt to relieve the tension.

I didn’t have time for his excuses, or for him defending my mother. I just wanted him to tell me what the hell she had said to him.

The sooner he did that, the sooner he could get the hell out of my room and leave me alone. I just wanted to be left alone for the rest of the day and for no one to bother me; least of all Marcus, and especially not my mother.

“Whatever.” I muttered.

“Why does it bother you so much, Soph? Knowing your mother spoke to me about you?” he asked, and I was tempted to reply; questioning his idiocy but I already knew it was going to be pointless asking him that since I was only bound to get some smartass remark.

“Because it’s you. I don’t need you knowing every little sordid detail about my life from the mouth of my mother. If I wanted to tell you, then I would have told you.” I snapped quickly.