Brothers At War: The Prologue

Prologue:

“We can’t carry on like this.” I stated, the both of us sitting in the hotel room, like this was the most normal thing in the world; but it wasn’t.

This was as far away from normal as you got. We weren’t even being faithful.

He was married and, to the rest of the world, he was the luckiest man alive.

“I know, but I can’t just drop everything. You know that.” he replies, his hand reaching up to my cheek; wiping away the stray tear which had made its way down my cheek.

“If you really loved me, then that’s exactly what you’d do.” I sighed, averting my gaze to the floor, not wanting to look him in the eyes anymore.

This was all wrong and we shouldn’t be doing it. He’s a married man and I’m ten years his junior - I was nothing more than a child who still had so much to learn about life and the things which were yet to come for me.

I was ready to walk away from all of this; happy to spend the rest of my days in tears.

Alone.

I was stupid - no, I was naive - to think that he wanted me; to think that this could actually work between the two of us.

He was rich, owned a huge business and had one of the most beautiful woman as his wife.

I, on the other hand, was nothing in comparison to that. Just out of University. No money. No job. And no man that I could even call my own.

“Sophie, it’s not that simple. I do love you, I really do, but everything’s just one big mess at the moment.” his voice spoke softly, it was enough to send shivers down my spine and his touch was enough to raise goose bumps on my skin.

“Nothing is ever simple with you, is it Matt? No. There’s always an excuse, or a reason, or some explanation as to why you can’t keep your promises.” I snapped, pulling my hand from his grip; flying from the sofa into the middle of the room. My head in my hands as I allowed the tears to silently fall.

“You wouldn’t understand. You’re a child.” he retorted as he too raised himself from the sofa and placed himself directly in front of me; his height and build making me feel inferior and immediately putting me under his spell.

There was just something about him.

Something so different, that it was impossible to ignore it.

“Look, Soph, what is your problem? This isn’t the first time you’ve snapped at me.” Matt pointed out, reaching his hand to my arm; rubbing it up and down in a comforting manner.

“There is no problem, not unless you plan on creating one?” I muttered coldly.

“Yeah, no problem my arse.” he laughed, but I wasn’t finding this amusing; I wasn’t finding any of this amusing and I was close to punching him. Hoping I could hit him hard enough to knock him out, just to give me the time that I needed to run and make my escape.

But then I knew it would be pointless even trying to do something like that.

The emotional hold which he had over me was too strong, it was never going to be broken.

He was always going to be the one that I wanted; the one that I needed.

I guess it was the thrill of getting caught which kept bringing me back to his arms each and every night.

“Will you tell me what your problem is Soph? I’m getting a little tired of having to second guess your every move, for fear that I may find myself being injured by you.” he reiterated his point from earlier, pushing harder for an answer.

For a reason that I was acting in this manner, and throwing everything I had back at him.

“How do you do it Matt?” I burst out after a couple of minutes of nothing but silence. It wasn’t meant to come out in the way that it did, but there was no time to stop the words from rolling off my tongue and into the air around me.

“Do what?” he asked. Playing the stupid card wasn’t something I admired about him, and I wasn’t a trait I looked for in any male.

“Go back to your wife and pretend you love her?” I replied, still unsure of if he was actually pretending to love her as he always informed me he was doing; he looked like her genuinely loved her and wanted to be with her whenever I saw pictures of the two of them together.

“There are times in life when you have to do things, not for yourself, but for the people around you. Loving her is easy, even easier when I imagine it’s you I’m looking at and not her.”

“Me? Ha. Like I believe that.” I laughed sarcastically.

“Believe what you like, but I love you.”