Brothers At War: Chapter Three

The night came and, as I expected would happen being in the same place as Matt, I found myself unable to sleep.

I checked my phone, seeing that it had not long turned half one in the morning, so it was safe to assume that no one was going to be awake at this time of the morning; if they were awake then they would probably just be in bed admiring the ceiling.

Taking a walk, to me at least, seemed like a better use of my time than remaining in my bed, staring at the same spot for five hours before my body finally decided it was tired enough to want to sleep.

I forced myself out of the bed, putting my feet into my slippers and picking my phone up before I headed into the corridor; not really sure where I was going or what I was doing. I just let my feet do the walking to see where I would end up.

I took left and right turns all over the place; the house was definitely bigger than I took it to be upon first inspection.

I ended up in what looked like should have been the dining room but, instead, there was a dimly lit fire in the centre of the room with a sofa sat just in front of it. A picture hung above the fireplace of what, or so I assumed, was Matt and Marcus’ mother.

“You know, you shouldn’t be creeping around at this time of night. All guests are required to remain in their rooms until the morning.” a voice spoke from the shadows in the corner of the room.

I know I should have been scared or that I should have run back off to my room, but I didn’t feel the need to do either.

“I wasn’t creeping. I couldn't sleep so I simply decided to view what was on offer.” I replied heartlessly, looking around the room to see if I could work out where the voice was coming from; but since the room was as big and as empty as it was, the voice bounced off all the walls.

“Call it what you want, it doesn’t change the fact you’re walking around this place at night. It’s just asking for trouble.”

“Are you going to give me trouble?” I asked cockily, showing them that I wasn’t afraid of them, or their empty and worthless threats; they were doing nothing for me other than making me want to punch whoever it was.

“I like trouble, and I heard that you like a little trouble too.” the voice uttered smugly, and it hit me there was only one person that voice could belong to.

There was only one person who was daring enough to say half the things which had just left their mouth.

“Hm. Shame I don’t play your games really. Marcus.” I pointed out, turning around to see him stood there in nothing more than his underwear and dressing gown.

It was safe to say he must have spent most of his evenings in this room and didn’t expect anyone to stumble across it.

Why he’d want to spend his time in his underwear, in a room with a picture of his mother above the fireplace, drinking whatever alcoholic beverage he had decided upon for this evening - well, morning rather than evening - was beyond me.

“What games do you play then. Sophie?” he asked me with a smirk on his face, stepping out of the shadows and walking over to me.

“I don’t play any games. Anyway, what is this place?” I questioned, changing to topic completely before this became anymore awkward and I was actually sick all over the place.

“This? Oh, it’s nothing, it’s just where I spend my time thinking.” he shrugged.

“”Nothing? Right. That’s why it’s in a place where no one can find it and you’re hiding in the shadows.” I stated quickly, opting for pointing out the obvious rather than asking anything else.

“It can’t be that well hidden if an idiot like you can find it.” he mocked.

“I think I’m just going to go now. I’m not in the mood for you right now.” I sighed as I walked out of the room, I just couldn’t be doing with his snide remarks right now or the pathetic little insults that he was bound to come out with.

I just wasn’t in the mood for any of it. In fact, I question why I even came here in the first place.

Yeah. So do I. I warned you this wasn’t going to end well for you, but you didn’t listen. Did you?

No.

I didn’t listen. I never do because I always have to be right.

I always have to know what’s the best thing to do, even when it’s the worst possible idea I could have; I still do it anyway and hope it will turn out even better than I plan for it to in my head.

“You’re walking away now but, before the time you leave, you’ll be begging for me.” Marcus’ voice echoed down the corridor, followed with an awful laughter which warranted a slap around the face.

“I knew there was a reason I hated the male population. Just, leave me alone.” I snapped.

“You’ll be back. They always are.” he snickered cruelly, and it literally took me everything I had not to walk back to him and just hit him but I was better than that. I wasn’t going to give him the satisfaction of knowing he had got to me in that way and that he had only put even more of a downer on my mood.

How I had already survived a week here was beyond me, but I was simply happy there was only two more weeks left and then I would be able to return to what I, at least, considered normality.