Brothers At War: Chapter Five

“I know you want me Soph. Why do you keep denying yourself the ultimate pleasure?” Marcus spoke softly.

“Whatever gave you that idea?” I laughed, the idea so stupid it was almost close to being realistic.

“I know women. I know you. You don’t really hate me, just like I don’t really hate you. It’s more of a pride thing than anything.”

“Pride thing?” I asked, slightly confused as to where pride came into the equation; just like I was confused as to how he knew that I didn’t really hate him. He could tell himself that as many times as he likes and, perhaps, one day it may actually be true.

“I’m too proud to ask someone like you out on a date and you’re too proud to ever want something from a person like me.” he smiled.

“And what sort of person are you because, when I look at you, all I see is a social screw-up who loves to mess with women’s feelings for his own amusement?” I retorted quickly, feeling rather proud of just how quickly the response flew out of my mouth.

“When I look at you, Soph, all I see is a broken and frightened little girl who is never going to be able to settle down because she’s too afraid to take risks in her life.”

Marcus’ words continued to rattle around in my head for the duration of the evening, making it very hard for me to want to concentrate on anything - or anyone - else around me.

I ended up walking into people more than once and spent more of my night apologising to people than I did actually socialising with them.

I wasn’t broken and frightened, and I certainly wasn’t afraid of taking risks in my life.

It was a big enough risk coming here in the first place, even if all I had done since day one is regret it and wish I was on a plane back to London.

“Sorry.” I muttered for about the tenth time that evening.

“Don’t be sorry. It was my fault. I should have been more careful.” they replied, and I looked up to see Matt standing there in one of his famous suits. The only thing he ever wore and probably ever will wear. “How are you then?”

“Yeah. I’m great. I’m stood beside the person I was once madly in love with celebrating the fact he’s re-marrying one of the world's most spoilt brats.” I stated sarcastically.

“I told you earlier that I still wanted you. We could disappear tonight and no one need ever know where we’ve gone.” he whispered as people walked past the two of us, smiling and offering their happiness to himself and Amena.

“Hm. You and I both disappear on the same night and no one would be clever enough to work out we’re together. Do you really think your friends and wife are that stupid?” I wasn’t even bothering to be nice to him this time or to spare his feelings. I was simply telling him how it was and, if he didn’t like that, then he knew where the door was and he could easily kick me out.

“I can’t help my feelings for you.” he shrugged.

“I can’t help that I don’t want you anymore. I grew up Matt, it’s time you did the same time.” I said coldly as I headed off up the stairs, knowing that this was more than enough for one night and there was no need for me to stay here any longer and bare the pain which I was feeling on the inside as my heart broke into several pieces all over again.

“Where are you going?”

“To my room.”

“I could--”