Chapter 31: The Black Wolf Returns!!!

Start from the beginning

That is why he had come down so hard on them, even though he had known a dozen men would have sufficed in sending them running for the hills he had still shown them his full might. It was a message he wanted to convey to them and anyone else foolish enough to ever dare contemplate such a foolhardy endeavour again, a very clear message. One they wouldn’t soon forget.

Unfortunately for him though he was still helpless to prevent his blood from boiling anew every time he thought of their back stabbing ways, maybe he should have charged into the McArdle holding regardless of their non existent will to fight him Iain thought vengefully. But he quickly discarded that thought, no, he had made the right decision, senseless violence was never the answer.

The McArdle’s had been dealt a humiliating defeat and no blood had been spilled in the process, ‘twas the best kind of victory. And Iain knew he had to be satisfied with that, even if he would have preferred some gratification.

But the closer he got to the village, the more difficult it became to focus on the McArdle’s or their treacherous nature.

His mind kept flashing with an image of a Goddess draped enticingly atop his bed, her pale skin glistening against the backdrop of the dark brown fur cushioning her lush naked form, one soft hand curled innocently underneath a rosy cheek as tendrils of flaming crimson framed a face almost too perfect to be real, billowing like a cloud about a body that was made for a mans touch, His touch he amended possessively.

That was the last time he had seen Sarah, a week ago. That one erotic image of her had branded itself on his mind as he had been preparing to leave, fighting against the urge to jump right back into bed beside her. And it had proven impossible to dislodge ever since, as Iain had subsequently learned much to his expense.

Even in the midst of his towering rage at the McArdle’s, even when he was camped outside their rotten Holding seething with frustration, that one single image would ignite in his head like a flash of lightening in a black sky and drive every other thought from his mind.

That it was also responsible for his foul temper and the scowl on his face made him uneasy.

Iain knew his men had been steering well clear off him for the past several days; he had been barking orders at them like a maniac and snapping at them at the slightest provocation, and the poor lot of them were not accustomed to displays of temper from their usually stoic leader.

‘Twas probably his dark mood which had scared the McArdle’s too Iain thought since his own men scurried away from him like whipped dogs most of the time. Hell, apart from Angus and Quinlan no one else had dared to address him in days now fearing an angry backlash.

Iain wondered what they would think if they knew what was really on his mind. That most of his anger and frustration stemmed not from his outrage at the McArdle’s but from heated thoughts of a crimson haired enchantress who had lodged herself right under his skin.   

The memories from that one single night of passion he had shared with Sarah were still vivid enough to make his pulse quicken and his blood warm.  Her voice, her laughter, the feel of her satin skin, her scent, they were with him no matter where he was or how hard he tried to forget them. And he didn’t like that, not one bit.   

He hadn’t woken her up that morning when he left and to this day Iain wasn’t really sure why, though he had worked hard at convincing him self it was because he had wanted her to have her rest. That he shouldn’t disturb her because she was tired, or angry with him, or both. But deep inside he knew it was none of those things, nor was it the fact that he hadn’t slept a wink after their little altercation.

He still found it hard to understand why her remark had stung. After all he had heard much worse in his lifetime without blinking an eyelid.

Sarah had a biting tongue, perversely ‘twas one of the things he liked about her, so why then had her pointed words hit a nerve and quelled the overwhelming ardour he had been feeling at the time?