Chapter 1

Chapter 1

"You need to learn to stop spazing out," Cassady said as I spilled my pumpkin juice all over the cushioned seats on the train. I smiled grimly.

"I know. I can't help it! I swear it's genetic," I mumbled as I frantically tried to wipe the pumpkin juice off of my brand new robes. I sighed as I leaned back on the damp seats, and looked out the window. The hilly green fields were illuminated by the piercing sun. There were palomino horses grazing in the distance, their tails swishing with the wind. It looked so peaceful to me, living in the country without a care in the world. Nothing to worry about. Peace, quiet, happiness. "Wouldn't it be great to be a horse?" I asked dreamily. Cassady looked up from her Ancient Runes text, an exasperated but vaguely interested expression on her face. She was used to my crazy questions.

"Excuse me?" she asked, waiting for my explanation. I pried my eyes away from the horses to turn to look at her.

"It just seems so peaceful. Living away, without having to dwell on the past or the present or even the future. Spending every day like you think it should be spent. No people to deal with..." Just as I was about to laugh at Cassady's reaction, a cold but familiar voice filled the train car.

"Dealing with people? You wouldn't happen to be talking about me would you?" Malfoy sneered, his piercing gray eyes boring into my big hazel ones.

"You only wish that I would talk about you to my friends, Malfoy," I said, grinning wryly. His hands dove into his pockets, his gaze averted. It was clear I won. I fist-bumped Cassady, symbolizing his defeat.

"Please," Malfoy mumbled under his breath. "Like I would ever want to be with you." I clasped my hand to my heart in fake pain.

"Oh, my poor heart!" I wailed dramatically. "What will I do now that the Slytherin Prince doesn't want me?" I collapsed on the train car, earning a good laugh from Cassady.

"You're intolerable!" Malfoy huffed as he swaggered away back down to the Slytherin cars on the train.

"What an ass," Cassady said. I chuckled and nodded in agreement.

"Well put," I said as I bit into a chocolate frog. He is a jerk, I thought to myself as I pigged out on the various delights from the trolley cart. I thought of his condescending sneer and his dagger-like eyes. As I thought about it, however, I noticed that he looked a lot paler. Sick, even. His normally sharp, alert eyes seemed to have dark circles underneath them. I cocked my head in confusion.

"What is it?" Cassady asked, turning her attention away from her book to look at me. I swear, I couldn't hide anything from Cassady, even if I really, really wanted to. She'd seen me at my best, and my worst.

She was my sister, and my best friend in the entire world. She's a year behind me, but it feels like she's older. She's in her fifth year, and I'm in my sixth. I'm the same age as the Golden Trio, and we're close, especially me and Hermione. We're room mates, and we've become best buds. We have our bad moments, but we always come back together. The same goes for Cassady and Ginny. It's harder for them, since Ginny is a Gryffindor, and Cassady is a Ravenclaw, but they always manage to have classes with each other.

Cassady and I always knew that we would be in separate houses; it was always pretty obvious. I took after Dad and Cassady took after Mum. Mum was a Ravenclaw, and she was the brightest in her year. Cassady resembled her so much that they were almost identical. They both had black, sleek hair and clear blue eyes. Mum was beautiful and so was Cassady, yet they always had their noses too buried in books to even notice the existence of all the attractive boys that glanced their way.

My father, however, had a softer, warmer look about him. I had his peachy, slightly tan skin with carmel brown hair that was always in tousled waves, and big hazel eyes with flecks of gold. Since my sister and I were born, it was almost certain that we were right for our houses. Cassady's name means wise, while mine, Audrianna, means bravery. Our parents said they were just right for us. Everyone calls me Audrey, except for my father. He said that my name should always be said to its full beauty, and I always loved that. So even though Cassady and I seemed like opposites, we were closer than salt and pepper.

"You're concerned, and confused. I can see it in the way you're narrowing your eyes and hunching over. You always do that when you're concerned about something," Cassady said. I looked at the way I was sitting, and realized that she was absolutely right.

"God! Why do you have to be so...right?!" She laughed at my distress as I tried to resume looking nonchalant. "Well, I'm not concerned about it, but, did Malfoy look a little sick to you?" I asked.

"He always looks sick. And pale. And demented. Oh, who am I kidding, he looks like a total Death Eater!" Cassady cried.

"Shhh!" I hissed as everyone in the neighboring compartments turned to look at Cassady in shock. I tried to flash a reassuring smile which probably made the situation even weirder. I wasn't necessarily gifted with any social skills to help in awkward moments. I turned back to Cassady, my expression serious.

"You can't say stuff like that, Cassady. Times are bad, and people are jumpy. A... Death Eater isn't a word you can just throw out there. It's dangerous." Cassady twiddled her thumbs, something she always did when she was embarrassed.

"I'm sorry," she whispered back. My expression softened.

"It's fine," I said. "Besides, he wouldn't be. Everyone knows his parents are followers, but he's way too young and not that evil..."

"You're sticking up for him!" she cried. I sighed and shut the car door. When Cassady got indignant about anything, her voice raised about 10 decibel levels. "Audrey, you do realize that this is the same guy who calls your good friend Hermione a mudblood? The same boy who bullies first years and has a psycho family?! It's very possible that he could be a Death Eater, and that he could be working for Voldemort." I snapped my head to look away, but I knew she was right. She was typically always right.

"Yeah. You're right. I don't know why I'm so worried about it...." I said, trying to forget his sad eyes. "Oh well, not our problem!" I said, trying to get back into the spirit of taunting him. Cassady held up her pumpkin juice.

"Here's to forgetting suckish people that we don't need in life!!!" she cried. I laughed. She could always perk me up.

"Cheers!" I said as our glasses clinked. For the rest of the train ride we talked about boys and life and dreams and the future. And I truly enjoyed it. I just didn't know why I couldn't get that stupid Malfoy out of my mind.