And that I...wasn't entirely human.

And perhaps...neither is she...

Raising one hand up to my face, I stared at the finger I had bandaged up just a few minutes ago. The cut had been a little deeper than I had thought, and it had stung like a mofo up until just a short while ago. But now, I couldn't feel a thing.

I guess I didn't need the bandage after all.

Releasing a ragged breath, I pressed my hand over my chest, feeling the erratic yet strong beating of my heart against my palm. Somehow, growing up, doing this had always been reassuring to me.

Maybe, I was making sure that I was still alive.

Maybe I had to, because I had lost track now of how many, many times...I had died.

My thoughts were interrupted when there was a distinct shuffling outside the door of my room and my back stiffened, knowing that the guard outside my room had just stood up.

Soon, the unmistakable sound of heavy footsteps belonging to multiple people filled the corridor behind me and my eyebrows rose ever so slightly.

So...they're patrolling in their human forms today are they?

My eyes immediately shot to my giant King sized-bed where my friend lay sleeping, the covers pulled over her head and dark hair like mine spilling out from underneath them.

I felt a hint of guilt for doing this without telling her about it. But this was something only I could do, and involving her would only create more opportunities for failure. Because at this point of time, if I wanted my plan to work, the only person I could rely on, was myself.

I took a deep breath, and rubbed my arms up and down. Goosebumps formed on my skin, despite me telling myself a thousand times, that I'm not afraid.

Because I am.

But...that's okay.

I had spent many long days preparing myself for this moment, mentally, physically and in every other way possible. And up until just a few minutes ago, I was almost a little excited, but now, when the time had finally come, I couldn't help but feel nervous.

The heavy footsteps approached my door, getting closer and closer with every passing second. I hugged myself tighter, keeping my eyes glued to candle flames that danced in the dark, their light casting eerie shadows all across one side of my room.

It's almost time...

I felt a new presence behind the door of my room, unfamiliar, but I knew it was another Shadow Guard. And just as his footsteps came to a halt outside my door, I bit my lip hard and fisted my palms.

Not a second later, the clock-tower struck 12 AM.

With that, the ominous silent night was filled with echoes of the giant pendulum rocking to and fro, as it began to announce the hour, needing to ring 12 times to signify the time.

One...

I sensed the shadow guard's aura change as his human form transformed into his dark side.

Two...

I heard the faint shuffle against the carpet underneath the entrance. And then, a dark form began to slide out from underneath the closed door on my left.

Three...

I held my breath, feeling familiar dread rise up from deep inside of me as I watched the guard's dark forme d'ombre re-assume the shape of his natural body.