Part 56: The Answer

Start from the beginning

A part of Mason and a part of me.

Tears began to fall freely but they weren't tears of sadness. A smile rose to my lips as I looked down at my belly which hadn't changed at all but there's the fact that there might be a little Mason in there that filled my heart with joy.

Joy.

"If you're a girl, we could call you Joy." I whispered, laughing sadly.

I sighed heavily before wiping my eyes and starting the car to drive back to Mels.

When she opened the door she looked as though she'd just woken from a nap.

"You were forever." She yawned, walking towards the couch leaving me trailing behind.

She was right, I'd been gone nearly three hours and it was close to 1:30pm by the time I'd walked through the door.

"Sorry, did you fall asleep?" I asked, sneaking over to my bag of clothes to shove everything inside.

"Yeah, finished the movie too. Cameron's been back. He was wondering where you went."

"Where's he gone?" I asked, tucking my hands into my jumper pockets.

"He went to the shops, I'm surprised you didn't see him." She flicked through the Netflix channels, while I sank down never to her.

"Yeah." I watched the channels wiz by as she continued to search for something.

"What I don't understand is you went to get tampons but you were gone for three hours. What's wrong?" She turned towards me, concern written clearly on her face.

What was I going to tell her?

"I think I'm pregnant."

She stared at me and I knew the feeling she felt at that moment. The feeling where your heart drops in your chest and you don't know whether to laugh or cry.

She looked about me then about the room. When the silence became too long I questioned her.

"What are you thinking?"

"Is that what you were doing? Buying a pregnancy test?"

"Yeah."

She nodded slowly and then startled me by standing up quickly.

"You need to find out. There's no use wondering."

She pulled me to my feet and pulled me into a tight hug. When she leaned back she tucked a piece of hair behind my ear that had called in my face and stuck to my now tear stained cheek.

"And if you are pregnant, I'll get pregnant too so you won't be alone." She laughed and I joined her.

"It shouldn't be this bloody hard to pee on a stick!" Cried Mel as she paced in front of me in the loo.

"Stop talking I can't concentrate!"

"Why do you need to concentrate-"

"Just shhh!" I closed on eye like it would help and finally managed to pee on the pregnancy test.

"How long do we have to wait?" Asked Mel as she reached for the box and I flushed the toilet, placing the stick on the sink counter.

"5ish minutes." I replied, taking a seat on the closed loo with my hands held tight between my knees anxiously.

We both sat in silence and stared at the stick as though it might blow up and web Mel's timer went off to say it had been 5 minutes neither of us moved.

"Do you want me to look for you?" She whispered, still staring at the stick and I shook my head.

I got to my feet and slowly, carefully and put one foot purposefully in front of the other.

I already knew that I would be sad if I was pregnant but now that I'd thought about the fact that I had a product of Mason's and my love growing inside me, just a small jelly bean, I would be gutted if I weren't. There was no winning this game.

I picked up the stick.

A cross meant pregnant and a horizontal line meant not pregnant.

No matter how much I thought I'd prepared myself for the answer, I could never prepare myself enough.

Dun dun duuuuuuuuun!!!! Sorry fam! You'll have to wait til the next chapter 😬😜