Part 18: A Whole New Person

As everyone finished their meals, people made their way back onto the dance floor.  I was surprised no one had taken their masks off yet, little beads of sweat were gathering just  by my nose from how hot it was.

Even though the four of us had finished and were sitting in awkward silence, none of us had gotten up to dance or made a move to talk. Despite the music it was like a spinning circle of tension, only being broken by Cameron's phone ringing and him excusing himself to go outside and answer it.

"Lucas, you don't mind if I dance with Mel for a bit do you?" I asked, he hesitated but before he could say something I gestured to the other girl and her partner on the table. "I'm sure Macy and Harry will keep you company." He looked back and nodded - albeit it agreeing it was still a slight sad nod considering Harry had his lips on Macy's and her hand was laced in his hair as I dragged my chair out from under the table. I pulled Mel up from her chair and she had to hurry to keep up with me as I basically ran to the dance floor.

"You need to tell me everything." I shouted to her over the music as we started dancing to the upbeat tempo.

"Not here, everyone will hear us." She shouted, leaning in closer so I could hear.

"Just enjoy tonight alright. Have fun with me, please?" She asked, and her face was one of those faces you just can't say no to.

I said okay, and we danced for another 45 minutes. Breathless and smiling we saw Cameron push his way through the dancers and gram Mel turning his back to me.

He whispered something to her and her expression became difficult to decipher but from what I could see, she was shocked.

"What? What's going on?" I asked, tapping Cam on the shoulder, ceasing my dancing.

"Nothings wrong, just was on the phone to my... sister." As I was about to press further the DJ interrupted.

"Ladies and gentlemen, if you could please take your seats, dessert is about to be served."

"Does this guy ever shut up!?" I exclaimed, earning a few strange looks from people who were retreating back to their table.

I wondered back with Mel and Cam and took my seat next to a very glassy eyed Lucas.

"Hey baby, you looked hot." He said, pulling me close and putting a sloppy kiss on my cheek.

Ugh, I hated it when guys gave girls pet names like baby or Bae. Whatever happened to sweetheart and my love? There was only one person other than my parents who'd called me sweetheart, and he wasn't here.

"Are you okay?" I asked, a little bewildered, wiping some slobber from my cheek.

"Yeah great! I just had a couple while you wee dancing, I'm fine!" He laughed, waving me off and I giggled a little as he knocked his spoon onto the floor.

Dessert wasn't as silent as mains. Luckily, I was able to talk to Mel about some of the girls outfits and some of the better looking males.

"Is that a bird mask?" I asked, nodding to a woman in a black dress who was dancing by herself in the corner of the room.

"Which one?"

"The once dancing like Chandler Bing."

Mel snorted before saying, "she looks like she's wearing the mask from the Black Plague."

Just then, Lucas stood up knocking his chair behind him and fumbling with his jacket a little. We all turned in the commotion.

"Would you like to dance, my dear?" Lucas asked, a goofy grin on his face and his hand extended down to me.