Part 12: Dark Shadows

Thanks so much for the cover @_tiarexy_babylove_ ! Looks fantastic!!

Hello lovelies! Another chapter pour vous! I hope you enjoy and just a side note that there are probably a few mistakes, I only briefly read over this sorry!!
Enjoy!

"Iced mocha, please." I placed my order at the cafe in my area of campus, and sat down in one of the single couches in the corner, hoping to avoid anyone I know.

Monday. Today was Monday and Mason would be home soon. Technically the cafe doesn't close until 10pm but most of the time they are cleaning up to close by 8, seeing as no one really ever hangs around that late.

Since my interrupted Makeout sesh with Lucas, I have been mulling over every possible decision - I even made a pros and cons list... - of what to do about Mason.

"Just because he didn't return your feelings doesn't mean he doesn't have them."

Why did he say that? Obviously Mason didn't give a toss about me, in fact I don't think he really gave a toss about any girl. He always had a new one with him and he even said it himself: 'everyone knows that Mason Murphy doesn't do girlfriends'.

Why did I think that I could be different just because we spent an evening talking.

When I thought about it, he didn't really talk about anything personal. In fact, I did most of the talking.

I picked up my bag and my take away coffee cup, and walked through the automatic doors avoiding the evil stares from the girl at the counter who'd swept the room about ten times waiting for me to leave.

I tried to slow my heart as I drove back to the apartment, was I anxious or excited? I didn't know.

I wanted an explanation as to why he left. It's hardly fair that I must tell him everything about where I am and what my plans are but I don't know a single thing about him.

Pulling into the garage I saw Mason's bike.

'Great.' I mumble sarcastically, picking up my bags and books from the passengers seat. Looking around in the quiet drive way checking for him, I walked over and touched the engine.

It was cold, so he'd been home while I was avoiding him at the coffee shop. Gathering my patience and nerves I assended the stair.

I was winded when I finally made it to the top, bloody hell I needed to go for a run.

There were two ways I could handle this situation: 1. I could greet him like nothing had happened, like he hadn't made out with me and then just left, or 2. I could just walk past him without even acknowledging his presence.

I guess I'll figure it out when I get inside.

Digging around in my bag to find my keys, I could only feel my car key. Slight panic hit me that I'd lost them before I remembered that I left them on my dresser.

"Bloody chicken poop perfect." I muttered raising my hand to knock on the door.

It opened almost immediately to an expectant Mason who looked oddly tired. I was taken aback by the dark circles under his eyes which are red, making the green stand out even more. He had a few days of scruff on his jaw and he was in his usual black T-Shirt and jeans.

"Hey." He exhaled, holding the door open for me to enter. I walked through but couldn't keep my eyes off him.

I had no idea where he had been but surely he should look this tired.

"Hi..." I drew on for a little too long. We stood in the hall staring at each other. His eyes were worn and exhausted as they looked down at me going over my body, not in the check out kind of way, but the way that ensures there weren't any cuts or scrapes that need mending.

I stared at him with my mind full of questions, his hair was messy - but totally sexy! Shut up Ashley! - and he looked slightly gaunt.

I was shocked when he closed the distance and hugged me tightly. I was stunned for a moment but found myself reaching up to squeeze him just a hard.

He took in a shaky breath before pulling away and walking the rest of the way to plop onto the couch.

I was so confused. But I knew for a fact that he is not in the mood for questions or talking. He had a weird air of sadness hanging over him that I could feel from where I was standing.

I walked into the kitchen to get myself something to eat and saw boxes of Chinese sitting on the counter. They were still hot and the receipt was sitting on top of the box of egg rolls. I picked them up and pulled two forks out of the draw.

I strolled into the living room and sat on the floor next to where he was spread on the couch and put the boxes on the table.

He leaned forward and picked up a box.

"I saw you at the coffee place." He said quietly, causing me to pause. When I didn't reply he continued. "I figured I'd order Chinese so you didn't have to make yourself dinner." His voice was raspy and heart breaking. I could literally feel my heart crack a little just at the sound.

I turned and looked at him, he was digging around in his box of noodles, avoiding my gaze.

"Thank you." I said sincerely, he looked up a little to meet my eyes. He gave me the smallest smile, the tiniest little twitch of the lip that actually made me feel special.

He was so vulnerable and distant in that moment that I didn't know how to act.

He moved from the middle o the couch to the side and patted the spot next to him.

I contemplated it before getting up and sitting beside him. In that moment I didn't care about what had happened earlier, he may be so incredibly annoying and an incredible dick for playing me like that but for the time being, my rage could wait.

He flicked the TV on and scrolled through the channels until he found the only movt that was on TV - 10 Things I Hate About You - and we watched the movie while we ate.

He ran his hands through his hair and down his face 13 times before the middle of the movie - and yes I counted.

His arm was draped over the back of the couch and seeing him so torn between his thoughts and staying in reality was making me anxious.

My body moved before my mind could and I was scooting closer to him to snuggle into his side and grasp his shirt tightly in my fist. His arm wrapped around me and pulled me tight.

He exhaled deeply and I closed my eyes.

I'm such an idiot. I thought to myself. But it surprised me that I wanted his touch and it surprised me further to realise that he wanted mine too.

Please comment and vote!! Love you all lots! Xxx