chapter 1: Meeting (Edited).

Every cloud have a silver lining.....

                   ⛅⛅⛅

"Aunty Munee, Aunty Munee!".

I hate it whenever my siblings wake me up from sleep. They are never gently. I half opened my eyes and they landed on my sister.

Sofeey was sitting on my bed, a huge frown marring her face.

"Why the early morning frown, Sofeey??".

I asked, sitting up and stiffing a yawn.

   "Aunty Munee its almost 10:00am now, we don't have anything for breakfast today and I am hungry, but Ummah said she do not have any money!".

   Tears stung my eyes, but the look on my sister's face forced me to blink them back. A very deep sigh escaped from my lungs. I looked at the floor for what seemed like half a minute before looking back up at Sofee's face.

   I leaned over and grabbed my side bag which was hung on a nail and brought out a crippled one thousand naira note from the side pocket. It was the last money I have.

  "I think we have some little sugar and lipton, go and buy a loaf of bread and bring back my change.  I will use it for transport to work".

   I said, then stood up and walked to the toilet.

The state government are yet to pay Ummah and I our salaries, the date being the twenty second of the month.

I work with the Adamawa state government while Ummah is a teacher, working under Local Government. And everyone living in Adamawa state knows very well how teachers doesn't receive salaries for months. Something have to be done about this, it is so unfair. Just the thought of it made me scoffed.

   My sixty three thousand naira salary is always not enough to fend for us. My sister, Safeeyah is now in her final year in secondary school while my brother, Sadiq is in his second year in the university. All these burden lies on my shoulders.

     Life have always been unpleasant. Our dad died five years ago and left us with nothing other than a car, which we couldn't manage and a house in which we are living.

    I am twenty five years old. A tall, light complexioned Fulani girl and also a graduate of Microbiology from the prestigious University of Maiduguri. I was so fortunate that immediately I finished serving the country, one of my maternal uncles found a job for me in one of the state ministries, where I work as a secretary to the Head Of Department.

After I was done with my normal housechores, and because it was weekend, I decided to pay a visit to my childhood friend, Haleemah, whose house is only two streets away.

On reaching there, I entered the sitting room and met her mother, a very kind and jovial woman, sitting on one of the sofas. I knelt down and greeted her and she answered, smiling.

"Is Haleemah around?".

"Yes dear, she is sleeping I think, go in and wake her up. She likes sleeping too much these days".

She lamented before turning back to the television on which a Hausa movie was on display.

    I stood up and walked into Haleemah's room, and just as her mother guessed, she was sprawled on her bed, snoring softly.

I walked up to the bed and gave her buttocks a smack, which made her sat up unintentionally, and on seeing me hovering above her, she hissed and scoffed.

I laughed and plumped down beside her on the bed, removing my veil and kept it beside me.

"You are the only one that wakes me up like this, you wicked soul!".