Chapter 18: Chrysoprase

• -Ollie- •

"Have... n-nice time," I called after Fay.

"But not too much fun." Opal giggled.

Fay smiled over her shoulder, giggling with Opal before hurrying to her car. "Fuck. I really don't want to be late. Bye guys!" she yelled.

We watched her green Mercedes slowly start to accelerate and drive out the garage door and through the gate, leaving me and Opal in the dark carport together in my house.

Fay was so nervous that she got her things to my house beforehand to get ready with both Opal and I around for moral support. Opal did most of the talking, trying to calm Fay down and I tried to help but I wasn't the best talker, which they both understood.

"Let's go watch a movie!" Opal suggested happily hurrying into the movie knowing I'd be right behind her.

An unremovable smile crept onto my face, I loved it when she was happy. Her smiles never quite reached her eyes on most days but today seemed different. Hopefully one that would not ever leave.

"What do you want to watch?" I ask as we enter back into the house through the brightly lit kitchen.

"Anything. I don't really mind," she said.

"Okay... how bout we look through... the cds then... and y-you can choose," I say as we enter the living room.

"I mean, we can both choose?" She says cutely, in an almost questioning tone.

••••

We end up taking about fifteen minutes trying to decide because neither of us wanted the other to sit through a whole movie they didn't like just because we choose the wrong one. I made sure she chose in the end, and I was glad that I actually really loved the film she ended up picking.

I watch as the credits start to come on and finally notice that the really small girl in my arm was dead asleep and hear the light whistle of a snore come past her lips and be the only sound in the room. Opal was like a beautiful angel in my arms. She always manages to look so peaceful and comfortable in her sleep, that it just calms me right down knowing she's okay.

I sit there for awhile longer before her body begins to shift and her eyes slowly opens. Her eyes bat for a moment before they sleepily fall on mine.

"How long was I asleep for?" She says as her cheeks turn pink from embarrassment.

"Only through... end of film... and through credits."

"Was I snoring or something?" She asks as her body visibly relaxes.

"No." I shake my head.

We sit in silence for a moment before she realizes she's still in my arms and shyly shuffles so she can sit on the cushion next to mine, making me miss the warmth and the responsibility of holding her tightly next to me.

"Sorry." She blushes.

"No, it's okay," I say, my voice coming out as a whisper.

We are both silent for a moment, only our calm breathing being the only sound of comfort. Somehow, the silence between us is a nice one, I can't always pick up on awkwardness or anything that puts the other person off but right now I Knew it was just a nice and peaceful silence. Unlike most I've been put through.

"How do you think Fay and her date are doing?" Opal asks, her eyes looking up to peer up at me.

"I d-don't know... I hope good." She giggles.

"Me too. She looked truly happy." Opal falls back into the couch, right beside me. Her head an inch from being rested against my shoulder.

"Yeah." I smile.

"By the way, I've been meaning to ask. Uh d-did you give in your letter for English class, yet?" she asks, biting into her bottom lip.

"Yeah... I did mine... about my grandma... she past away when I was a baby... and I didn't know who else to write about," I mumble as I get too nervous with both talking and her being so close to me.

Somehow, I managed to get close to her before and not get this anxious but tonight felt different for some reason. We were truly alone. Both my parents were out for the night, and Fay wasn't around either. And even though I know nothing would happen, I just felt as nervous as a child trying really hard to keep a secret.

"You?" I choke out when I see her going into her head, the way she seems to on most days, but normally it's only in school this happens.

"I-I'm thinking of writing to m-my dad," her suddenly heavy voice says.

"Y-your... dad past a-away?" I stupidly ask, immediately cursing myself.

Whether she notices how dumb my question is or not is a mystery because all she does is nod and look down. I notice the way her eyes bat fast and her small round shoulders ever so slightly shake. I watch as she frustratedly wipes at her eyes, clearly anger with herself for getting emotional.

"It's okay," I whisper, but she just shakes her head.

"No, it's not. It's all my fault and my mom doesn't even know!" she cries, curling into herself and bringing her knees to her chest.

A/N

Thank you so much for reading! Loves, we are almost at 200 followers on this account and that just boggles my mind honestly. And for celebration I am going to post every single day for two weeks if we reach 200 before Saturday. Last time I checked we were at 197 so I'm hoping we can do that.