Chapter 7: Tourmaline

• -Opal- •

It  was Friday the 13th and I was stood by the car, that I drove on my own today because Mom couldn't drop me off

It was Friday the 13th and I was stood by the car, that I drove on my own today because Mom couldn't drop me off. My eyes were looking around for both Ollie and Fay. We already planned that we would all meet up by my car and that's exactly what we are doing.

My car was parked on the other side of the school, away from all the people and ruckus, because Fay suggested it would be best, and I already made a mental note to come from this side in the mornings too from now on. It was a huge contrast compared to the other side of the school and I preferred this.

From the distance, I see Fay and her one strand of bright red hair and a tall guy in his famous grey sweater and mess of curly hair coming my way.

I smile as I pop open my door, climb in and wait inside. I pull out my phone to text my mom a quick message that I'd be home late because I'm going out with some friends. I knew the message would surprise her because I was almost always inside after everything that happened. Although it would bring more of her attention on me, the look on her face, that her daughter is finally picking herself up and is having a life, made it worth it.

The sound of two doors opening after each other brought my attention away from my phone. Ollie gives me a nervous smile as he takes a seat next to me making me a bit nervous but I play it off cool as I start the car and begin the trek to the 80's styled restaurant.

We spent the car ride talking and filling in the silence with awkward giggles and sharing glances every once in awhile to break the ice, but I was still nervous. I just wish that it does not show.

I park the car into an empty parking space and pop open the car door, both Ollie and Fay following suit. We walk together, a chit-chatty conversation still being continued from a second ago in the car.

I didn't really have a birthday present to give him but I had a hundred bucks in my purse that we'd spend all on today, which I figured would be enough, I didn't want them to think I was weird by getting too much. I didn't want them to know I've basically not had friends from two years, other than my own mother.

I immediately push these thoughts down, as my moist eyes showed exactly what I was feeling. Today was supposed to be a fun day, why do I do this every time? Somehow, with this new thought in my head my mood worsens, so I block out every thought in my head and focus on my steps, carefully calculating every movement my calves make as they walk and lead me to the door, where Ollie was stood holding the door for Fay and I.

"Thank you," I squeak and scuttle through the glass door, him giving me an almost adoring smile.

We walk past everything and head to the stairwell. I could hear The Clash sounding through the speakers, smell cola for some reason, and see endless amounts of arcade games. There was on the side a small mini café with checkered flooring and waitresses all dressed like they were in the 80's, which only heightened my enjoyment of the place.

"It's such a cool freaking place," Fay mutters, fascinated. "I feel like I'm in the 80's."

Ollie nods and clears his throat from right next to me, making me realize our close proximity but I do nothing to distance myself, he somehow felt like comfort.

"Lets go to PAC-MAN." I smile, leading the way. It was always my favorite.

I always felt like I was being chased by different elements of life, like I always want to reach the little desserts of life but I always got caught by the other characters. But now that I've played the game so many time, I've gotten so good at the game that now they don't catch me anymore. I've practically memorized all the little details of the game. Even though both my parents always said it was the hardest game ever, it always seemed to be quite easy for me.

"Okay," Ollie said, a small smile set on his lips and the rest of his features showed that he was excited to play the game.

I lead the way, weaving between people and aisles of games, a heavy feeling in my chest. I felt slightly claustrophobic in the tight fitted space. It was so loud in conversations and tunes of different games that it somehow created a claustrophobic atmosphere around us, even though we weren't exactly surrounded by endless amounts of people.

Taking a deep breath, I slowed my pace until we reached the PAC-MAN game. I placed in a token then took a step back so Ollie could go first then Fay could go afterwards. I let them play first, knowing that they probably never played this game before, at least not in the original way it was made to be played in, and besides it was his birthday, and I wanted them to have fun.

Ollie seemed the most excited to play all the games, always racing ahead when he saw the name of the game we said we played. It was adorable the way he was always happy and excited each time he won or got pretty high. 

Fay, on the other hand, was so frustrated while playing each game, saying that the game was rigged even though she did really good for each one of them. She always seemed to want to get the highest but was always excited for us when we won.

I have played these games so many times before it felt like second nature. I did let them get higher than me in most of the games because I didn't want it to be a competition on his birthday, but I think he noticed me letting my tiny little character get caught way too quickly.

"That was actually fun, even if it sucked," Fay said nonchalantly.

I giggled at her statement, my hand fumbling with the edge of my shirt. 

"Ollie liked thought it was fun too." He smiled sweetly down at me, our height difference feeling very prominent at this very moment.

"I'm glad you guys liked it. I love this place. Now you guys want to get cake?" I asked gaining a chorus of agreements.

We all walked together back up the stairwell and through the restaurant, talking about what each of us thought was the hardest game from what we played. We soon took our seat in a booth at the back, and ordered drinks and a few snacks before telling the waiter that it was Ollie's birthday, so we could get a chocolate cake for free.

We all giggle when we see the cake coming to us as the employees begin to sing happy birthday to Ollie, with me and Fay joining in. He shyly tries to hide by keeping his head down, but I could see a small smile on his lips as he stares at the checkered tiles on the floor.

We were all talking and laughing and sharing the cake when my eyes caught a familiar spark of blonde hair in the other side of the room. I almost laugh at my silly thought for who it could have been but when I got a clear view of who it was I felt my heart sink, my chest tighten, and my muscles tense. 

Why does Anika have to be here on this very day?

A/N

Thank you so much for reading. I hope you enjoyed this chapter I've been working on it for a while now. How are you guys?  I genuinely want to know. Is there anything you're excited about or stressed about? Please tell me in the comments and we can all rant together about things.