Chapter 17: Citron Chrysoprase

• -Opal- •

The car stops at a red light, a street down from the school. The scratches that I attached on my own hand has turned it bright red in certain concentrated spots. I felt like throwing up, but instead I sat still in the back seat, my eyes showed clear fear while I tried to cover my face with my long hair and looked out of the window to try and collect myself so I can try and build something with the broken fragments of my soul. I didn't want to have a break down again after what happened last night when everyone was asleep and I could not handle the thought of coming back to school, but then again I didn't know I was going to be going the next day.

"She has... not been... to school this week too," a whisper comes from beside me.

I turn, confused, to find Ollie looking at me assuringly. "Anika was... expelled."

Although I know he was trying to make me feel better, I did not, I felt indifferent. This was much more than just not wanting to face Anika. Even if she was not there to make my life a living nightmare still, there still would be someone else. And if there was no one, there would always be me.

After we start to move again and passed the one road we had to drive through before we reached, we arrived at the tall gates that were opened and had students piling in. I heard the faint voice of my mom telling us goodbye and wishing me luck while I was climbing out the door, my heart racing and my head filled with incoherent thoughts.

Ollie was out before me and closed the door after me. He stuck to me like gum on the bottom of sneakers through the halls of Westwood High School. I felt the burn of people staring whilst I was walking but I made no move to look up at anyone.

We made our way to the lockers a plethora of students around stood in the hallways. There was still ten minutes before we had to get to class. But although we had a very limited amount of time before we had to go to class, Ollie never left my side. We went all the way to my locker, which was stationed at the far back, then to Fay, who kept asking how I was and apologizing over why she didn't come to see me with Ollie the previous week, before going to his locker, which doesn't sound like much but with the endless amount of students walking around like snails it felt like endless.

We finally reached Ollie's locker as the bell began to ring, a shrill in the ears of the students as they all began the turf to their classes. Ollie quickly grabbed his books and pencil case, which he has moan over the amount of people that take but never bring back what was his.

"So, basically, me and her are finally going on a date," Fay babbled, a spark in her eyes as she told me about Rosalyn, the girl she is going on a date with this weekend.

"I'm so happy for you. Do you know what you're going to wear?" I asked, a small smile of content on my lips, I loved knowing she was happy, it made me calm.

"Yeah, I didn't know what to wear at first but I know she likes orange a lot so I'm wearing my orange dress." She giggled at the excitement. "I really can't wait."

"No, bad dress Ollie saw before... too many ruffles," he mumbled with a set smile on his face at Fay's excitement.

"Ugh. Then come help me after school, you nitwit. I've been stressing over it since I asked her last week."

"Okay, but no ruffles... too much... too much," Ollie grumbled at the thought of the ruffles.

"Can you come too Opal. I need multiple opinions."

"Of course. I can come right after school."

Fay smiled and said goodbye as she walked down a different invisible path to her own class, while me and Ollie both had English first period.

His warm hand sneaked into mine, pulling me closer to him as he silently giggled. I smiled softly as we both unlocked hands and walked into class, with everyone's eyes on us. I took a seat at the back so I wouldn't have the teacher's attention on me for the most part.

• • • •

"Opal, can I talk to you for a minute?" Mr. Black called halting my movements.

Ollie turned back at the sound of my name. I gave a soft smile while mouthing for him to go. I watched Ollie leave with the rest of the class before swiftly turning to look at the sir and stand by his desk.

"You still haven't submitted your letter to the dead assignment. Now, don't fret about it. I understand the situation you're in and why you couldn't bring it, but I was hoping that you can bring it before the end of this week. It can be of a late celebrity, a family member, or even a pet. So, your options are wide." He softly smile, a smile that brought wrinkles by his eyes.

• • • •

"Okay, no not that."

Fay grumbled something that sounded like a curse to both me and Ollie before going back into her closet.

"It looks nice, but you're taking her to a fancy meal and that looks like something you'd wear to the movies," I called out to her.

"Yes. Try blue now... Ollie likes blue."

"Well I'm not getting dressed for you, am I?" She called out before coming back out in the blue dress.

"Better. This is definitely better."

"Really? Okay before you decide I want you guys to look at the next one. You'll flip, I'll look like really ladylike for once," she said giddily before running back into her closet.

Ollie and I were laying on Fay's bed, shoeless, on our stomachs, Ollie occasionally sneaking kisses to my cheek when she'd disappear into her closet. Since the kiss we shared we've been inseparable. We still haven't kissed on the lips again but this was still perfect.

Fay came out next, her hair down in its natural waves with the red streak still there just a bit faded since the first day of school. Her red satin dress fitting her body like a glove, she looked beautiful.

"This," I said. "Is perfect."

Ollie nodded also speechless at seeing his careless and carefree friend look so put together in. She looked perfect with a light in her eyes showing her pure excitement.

A/N

Guess whose birthday it is today! I didn't have to time to edit this please forgive me. I'm in Croatia for the holidays and I'm just trying to update. I hope you enjoyed!

Don't forget to vote and comment your thoughts on the chapter!