Chapter 1: Opal

• -Opal- •

My anxious hands fumbled with the hem of my long sleeved shirt in nervousness. My heart was pounding against my chest, my ribs just an annoying lock restraining my heart from it's great escape.

All my senses seemed to be pointless when none of them seemed to be present, I couldn't smell the scent of our car, couldn't feel the leather of the seat against my arm, couldn't hear the radio hum it's tunes. All that was present was my pounding heart and my anxious thoughts racing through my brain.

I didn't want to go in there. I didn't want to feel alone beside the burning sea of people. I didn't want the teasing or the name calling or the shoving to happen like last year but I knew it was inevitable. All I wanted was peace even if that meant it all had to end. I wanted to be back in my bed hidden behind piles of fluffy blankets, cotton pillows and all my different stuffed animals, which I never had the heart to get rid of.

"Honey, you excited for your first day back to school?" my mother asked, her sweet suffocating smile on her lips.

"Uh, yeah," I awkwardly replied.

She just doesn't know.

My mother brought her glove-covered hand and smoothed down bits of my chocolate brown hair. Her eyes kept flicking between the road and me, examining my unruly hair as she fixed it.

I sighed, letting her do what she's doing, I knew it drove her crazy seeing one strand not where its supposed to be, even though my hair was previously straightened and combed. She never liked things half done, the way I always was.

"There. That's better." She brightly smiled, feeling more at ease. I watched her take her hand away and place it back on the round steering wheel, before checking the rearview mirror and tucking a loose strand of her bun behind her ear, a large heavy sigh exiting her because of that one strand out place that she couldn't quite place back in the bun.

I turned my head towards the window, examining the passing trees and buildings. My eyes took in all the bland colors finding life in the objects and things that don't move, occasionally spotting people walking down the road in shorts and t-shirts or ripped jeans and a tank tops. Everything brought life out of it even the humongous buildings that stood like giant stones with windows and doors carved into it.

Slowly the car halted, making me look over. The school stood in a haze of grey and blue. A blur of students were everywhere all going into the same large gated entrance. I could hear all of them chattering away in a blurry mess of sounds.

"Have a good first day, sweetie." My mother kissed my cheek before waving me off as I picked my backpack up and opened the door, slowly walking towards the gates.

Turning back I saw my mother still in the car trying to make her bun sleek again, the way she always wants it. I smile sadly before turning back around.

I made sure to keep my head down as I walked down the busy hall, my eyes trained on my dirty black converse, the same ones from last year. I hear the hazy voices of familiar people pass by me until I reach my blue locker.

Quickly putting in the password, I open the small door, listening to it's creaking. I shove my bag in there, before crouching and taking out my notebook and a couple of pens. The school bell chimes in its long familiar anthem before the sound of infinite feet pounding against the marble floor fills my ears.

I sigh a long heavy sigh before standing up, my books in my hand. "Oh my gosh. The slut actually came to school this year. Thought you'd finally leave and not come back,"  Anika's voice sounds.

I turn around, my deep dark brown eyes connecting with her bright blue ones. "You're still wearing the same shoes from three years ago I see."

"I-I." I swallow, watching her and her crowd of girls chuckle at my weak and awkward self.

Her hands raise before coming into connect with my shoulders and shoving hard. My mind goes blank for a moment before coming back. I found myself on the floor, my back aching, and all of them walking away with their laughs fading.

My cheeks redden as anger fills into all of my bones and insides replacing the inky red blood. My nimble frail hands press against the cold marble floor, bringing me up to a seated position before I quickly scramble to pick up my things.

The second bell chimes, making it official. I was late for my first lesson on my first day of school.

After collecting my things I begin making my way to my English class. I felt indifferent being here, it was like I wasn't in school just my body was. My eyes were skimming along the walls, watching all the colorful posters and sign up sheets, for clubs and activities, stapled up on the walls.

The brown door stood before me, making my heart start it's familiar pounding. All my nerves came back in that second as my hand knocked on the wooden door before turning the silver handle downwards.

Everyone looked up from their desks, including the teacher. I cleared my throat before closing the door and making my way to the back, hoping he won't say anything. I sighed in relief, my bunched up shoulders relaxing, as he went back to talking about the book we'll be reading this year.

I took my seat at the back, cringing when it scratched against the marble floor before taking my seat and placing my books in front of me, on the table. My erratic breathing was slowly going back to normal as everyone's gaze and attention went back to our teacher.

My eyes slide between the rows and rivers of people, trying to figure out who are the people that are going to be in my class for the whole year. My eyes connected with soft brown ones before his widened and turned around in a hurry. I watched him slide down his chair nervously and scratch the back of his messy brown hair with his large fingers.

He was abnormally large, almost reaching our teacher's height, even though he was probably only sixteen or seventeen. He wore a large sweater that look incredibly cosy and had a mess of curls as his hair, though it looked oddly adorable on him.

I saw his body slide back up before his head turn slowly back again almost looking completely back before the girl beside him, with the mixture of black and red hair, swats his thigh making him rub it with his hand and frown looking at her.

I watched him turn back around and huff before crossing his arms across his chest. I silently giggle, feeling my body ease from it's previous nerves.

A/N

I hope you liked the first chapter! Sorry for the long wait, nothing I wrote seemed to interest me but I'm feeling confident with this one so I hope you enjoyed. Also if you want the chapters to arrive faster please comment and share your thoughts it means the world to me and helps me in knowing what you guys want and don't want so the book is more entertaining for all of you readers.

Don't forget to vote and comment!