Chapter 8: Ruby

• -Ollie- •

I still do not understand why we had to rush out of the arcade last night. Opal seemed shocked and afraid when she hurriedly got us out of the small booth, after we finished the cake and our shared plate of nachos. She first drove Fay home then drove all the way back in a small comfortable silence and the occasional chatter until she reached our comforting and silent street where she told a final goodbye and wished me another happy birthday.

The highlight of that night was that unforgettable peck on the cheek that she gave me. I literally felt my heartbeat speed up when she kissed my cheek. She left me in a moment of shock before she walked away, a soft smile on her lips.

I am currently sat on the end of the dining table reminiscing about last night. Both my parents  chattering happily beside me eating their breakfast when they finally noticed my unbreaking silence.

"What're you thinking about, honey?" Mother asks, a sweet motherly smile set on her lips.

"You've been smiling to yourself for about five minutes straight." My dad chuckles.

"N-nothing, please." I try to make it convincing but my scarlet cheeks immediately give me away.

"Is this about a girl?" My mother gushes, her voice clearly portraying her excitement.

It suddenly felt like the temperature was rising by the second. My hand instinctively begins to scratch the back of my neck as it felt like my lungs were taken away from me making it impossible to speak.

"No, momma," I say unconvincingly, my upper half pushing on the chair as away of putting a tiny bit of distance between me and everybody.

A sharp gasp leaves my mother's mouth. "It is!" she says, her voice full of excitement.

"What's her name?" Dad asks, a hidden smile on his lips.

"N-nothing." I groan, before my arms come beneath and over each other in a neat closed-off fold.

"Alright then. You'll tell us later," my mother concluded.

I groan once more making my mom giggle as if she knew what was going in my head. She stood up, her chair scrapping against the wooden planks of the floor.

"Come on, Hank. We need to hurry or we'll be late," my mom changes the subject, her smile still on her lips though.

And then they left, leaving me alone in a house right across Opal's house. If I could and it would not seem weird I would walk out of the kitchen and down the road all the way to her but even she would not like that. So instead I get up from my wooden chair and go into my room.

My head went back to yesterday the moment I plopped back on the bed. Opal's eyes went from shock and fear to blank and depressed in less than a second last. She was scared. I could tell.

I realize now that Opal was a lot more of a mystery than she seemed to be. She was still sweet and delicate but very much a mystery and even that somehow makes me like her even more.

Just the thought of her has me enraptured in her sweet aura.

I quickly get dressed into just a regular jacket and jeans and make my way out of the house. I did not feel like spending the day inside today. I knew from the rustling trees the wind was blowing and from the clear sky it was going to be a good day.

I had my camera hanging from my neck, the leather pressing against the back of my neck. Quickly, I made my way to the forest that was down the street. It was a place my parents took me to for picnics, mainly when I was a kid but I still go there to photograph things and to escape reality for a bit.

I was walking, the leaves crunching beneath my feet and the sounds of birds filling my ears, when I found the most beautiful pond ever. This is not the first time I have seen it but every time I see it it is like the first time. I could not help but let the thought of Opal seeing this fill my head. 

I snapped a picture of it. God do I want to take her here. 

A/N 

Hi, this is me here. I am not sure what I think of this chapter. I think it is good but I want more to happen and I have ideas I am just very unsure on how to make it work. What I am asking of you is to be patient with both my updating times and for the amount of information that comes out of each post. I know what I want my next chapter to be and it is already in the work I can not wait for you guys to read it. Just be patient with me please. Also please leave your thoughts in the comment's section and do not forget to vote if you enjoyed.