13 | Ghosts Could Totally Exist

Start from the beginning

He then ran out of the living room and went into the bathroom. I rushed to him and found him searching the bathroom. Eventually, he told me he was searching for a ghost. I nearly laughed, thinking he was joking but when I caught onto his very serious face, I stopped myself. Max told me he has a fear of them, even though he knows they aren't real.

I comforted him and told him that it was alright; that one day, he may actually find evidence of their existence.

"For now though, I will protect you," I had whispered into his ear whilst hugging him. Max's response was to snuggle more with me and bury his head in the crook of my neck.

"Oh, you can bet that I've been keeping watch. I swear, I nearly caught footage of their existence." Max claims, leaning further back into the booth.

"Right..." I drawl out, totally believing him.

The waiter from earlier than brings our food out. The smell hits me like a wave and makes my stomach growl. We both thank her and she heads off.

I waste no time in digging into my food, nearly moaning at how good it tastes.

"This is so good," I moan, closing my eyes. I need to add this diner to my list of places to eat in emergencies.

I open my eyes and look at Max, only to see him staring at me in lust. Honestly, right now Max looks like a man who has been deprived of lust or even...me.

"Ava, please don't make noises like that. It makes me feel..." Max trails off, his brown eyes staring off into the distance.

I give Max a confused look, tilting my head slightly to the side, "what Max? What does it make you feel?"

Max doesn't reply straight away. I nearly repeat my question to him but before I can, he answers. "Desire. Happiness and sadness. Sadness for what I missed, for what I ruined."

Well, I didn't expect that.

Max has always been honest though. Despite my doubts earlier, I know Max is an honest person. When it comes to emotions and feelings, he may be more reluctant to tell me but he will. He will because he knows I appreciate it.

The fact Max feels guilty sends a pang to my heart.

Max isn't the only one who thought about where we could be now. If we were still together, I imagined that right now we would still be going strong, despite our separation. I always imagined we would meet in the holidays; talk on the phone or skype each other every day. I wonder if Max ever thought the same way as me.

"I honestly don't know how to reply to that," I tell Max, eating a chip. Max watches me, drinking in every detail.

"You don't have to. I'm just going to remind you that I want you back. Every second we spend together, I'm going to make you the happiest, I'm going to prove to you that not only do I love you but I am the right man for you. You recall those amazing memories from two years ago? You remember how I always made you laugh or smile? Well, I'm going to continue doing that because I love you and because I want you. I'm not giving up on you Ava." Max says, his voice laced with truthfulness.

My heart is hammering in my chest at his words, at the honesty in his eyes.

How am I supposed to take this whole forgiving process slow when Max gives monologues like that? At this rate, if he continues, I will be melted ice cream in his hands by next month. Maximum.

"Wow," I mutter out, lost for words. "D—do you mean all of that?"

Max bobs his head up and down to confirm it.

"Of course I do, I'm never going to lie or deceive you again. I'm not going to lose you." He explains.

Aww, that is so sweet. I swear, I'm feeling all mushy.

Since Max, I haven't wanted to get into a relationship. Sure, I've gotten drunk at parties and kissed guys and stuff but I have never been back in a relationship. Guys have called me gorgeous, stunning etc but they have never said words like that to me.

Love is hard to find. Its hard to find a decent and honest guy out there in the real world. We girls fantasize about guys, about how they are the perfect people who literally drop to their knees for you but we know that it's very rare that you find somebody like that.

Now that I know the truth about two years ago, I know that Max is a guy who I should fight for. He's one of the decent ones.

"Who knew you could be sentimental?" I tease, smiling at him. I catch Max's brown eyes light up at my smile as he returns it. The very fact that he feels pleased and proud of himself for getting me to smile, warms me to the core.

"Only for you Miss Ava," he teases back, genuinely smiling at me.

Momentarily, I'm stunned by the full beauty of his smile. I blink and then give him a nervous smile. I hope he doesn't notice the effect he has on me—otherwise, I will never hear the end of it.

"Well, if you are bringing formalities into it then I hope you being a gentleman will pay for my food since I didn't bring any money with me," I tell him, faking a posh British accent.

Max grins, "why of course. I hate seeing a damsel in distress." 

Word count: 1571

Hello! I hope you enjoyed the chapter! If you did then please vote and comment! I'm hoping to update on Tuesday but...I'm not sure yet. 

Also, thank you for 8.5K followers. Like, say what????? I'm so happy.

Next chapter: 14 | Ava Vs Cheerleaders