24 | Parties and Kisses (part 2)

Army - Ellie Goulding

24 | Parties and Kisses (part 2)

***

"What on earth were you doing Ava?" He asks, anger clear in his tone. Gulping, I wonder how I will get out of this. 

My mouth opens and closes in shock. I don't know what was thinking. The answer is: I wasn't thinking. I just...kissed him. I didn't think about the repercussions, I didn't consider what it would do to Max. I just kissed him. 

Max patiently waits for an answer, staring at me expectantly. 

"I -" Pausing, I think of what to say. Swallowing, I attempt to say something to him. "Oh god, I messed up."

Max doesn't respond. In fact, he doesn't do anything other than stand in front of the bed, watching. His intense gaze never unwavering, always on me. I'm beginning if he's looking at me or looking at me. 

"It's almost funny. You are the one who usually mucks up but this time I did. I got drunk and kissed some guy knowing you have feelings for me. God, that makes me such a bitch." I say, light-heartedly, trying to ease the obvious tension in the room. 

Max doesn't laugh. 

"Oh come on, I tried to make a joke," I sigh. 

I stand up, feeling slightly woozy and stumble my way to Max. Just as I'm about to reach Max, I trip on a bit of bed cover that is hanging on the ground. Max is quick to catch me, wrapping his arms around my waist. 

His face hovers over mine, so close to me. I move my head closer to him, executing the first move. But before I can kiss him, Max hoists me up and puts me back on the bed. Disappointment fills my face and I do something I never thought I would do in front of Max. I guess you can blame the alcohol for that.

I cry. 

I cry, with hot tears running down my cheeks and curl up into a fetal position. I cry because I'm not as strong as I like to admit. 

Sobbing, I think about all of the mistakes I've made, the bad things I've done. What I've said. 

I am so lost in my thoughts, that I don't notice Max coming over to me until he uncurls me and picks me up. Gently, he places me on his lap and softly runs a hand through my knotty hair. I start sobbing into his chest, leaving my wet tears on his top. 

For several moments, Max lets me have this moment. For a short while, he lets me have my moment to break down. 

"Ssh," Max whispers into my ear, rocking me back and forth like a baby. When I run out of tears, I begin to hiccup. Max mutters comforting and soothing words into my hair, kissing my temple. "It's going to be okay. You're going to be fine."

Oddly enough, I believe his words. Perhaps its because I'm drunk or maybe its because they are coming from Max. 

"I'm an awful person. I'm so mean." I state, my heart plummeting when I realize how true it is.

Looking up, I see Max frowning to himself. "What do you mean? You are one of the nicest people I know."

I nearly snort at his words but refrain myself from doing so. 

Shaking my head, I fiddle with my hands. "I'm not. I was a complete bitch to you when I saw you. I called you words I didn't mean. I pushed you away. Its a miracle you're here right now, consoling me. You should be downstairs having fun with a girl who deserves you." 

 "No, no, no. Don't you dare say those things, Ava." Max practically insists. "You were hurt, I understand that. Hell, I would probably act like that too if I was in your position. Its a miracle you forgave me. And I'm glad you pushed me away. It only made me want to persist you more. Ava, you are so strong. You are amazing, beautiful and smart. You are so kind too, you help others out. I know you are trying to help Bree and Harry out - yes, I see something happened between them.