(25) The Godfather

En başından başla

     Without looking at me, she continued, "You know what, my husband, your grandfather, didn't really want to be the head of the family too. And it might not be obvious but Claudio, your father, also didn't want to be a godfather. They hated the family like you, thought it was useless to lead a bunch of greedy and selfish men. But, as soon as they started gaining their trust, their respect, both Rafael and Claudio became the greatest Godfathers of all time, and the men they once hated became family, and they did everything to protect their family."

     I was a little surprised to hear this from my grandmother since I've always looked up at my father. He looked like a real father to everyone, and when I was a kid I always wanted to be just like him.

      Maybe it's not too late for that.

     "Will they be happy to find out if I ever go back and become the godfather?" I asked.

     It didn't even take my grandmother a second to answer my question, "It doesn't matter if they're happy about it or not. Because even if they want to protest, they will still admit that they need you. And once you become the new godfather, then it will be in your own hands now if you want them to respect you, or fear you."

     "But isn't that just the same?"

     "Oh no, respect and fear are very different things Romeo. Rafael was feared, so a family member killed him out of hatred. Claudio was respected, so the family members died just to protect him", my grandmother explained, making me nod in understanding.

     "Thank you...Doña Victoria", I say, looking down at the gloves that have been covering my hands for years.

     I'll make you proud Johnson. You've dreamt about seeing me sit on that throne, so I will make sure that I do, for your sake. And for the sake of protecting the man I have practically given my life for.

     "Grandmother...I know what I have to do", I finally say.

     "Don't worry, the moment I saw the hunger and hatred in your eyes, I already knew what you were about to do."

*****

     "This is everything!" Mat shouted as he carried boxes inside my plane.

     "We're ready to leave!" another man shouts, the door finally closing.

     We were back inside the jet, ready to head back to face my family. But this time, my grandmother was coming with us.

     "I haven't seen the Valentino household for a long time", Grandmother says as she comfortably sits on the chair while staring at the view out the window.

     "Don't worry, we're the same", I say, and Mat nodded as an agreement.

     "But we'll only be there for 2 days madam, we still have a lot of things to do here", her assistant suddenly says, making my grandmother angrily look back at her, "Why do you always have to ruin everything?"

     "I'm guessing you two are close", Julien suddenly says, making my grandmother laugh this time.

     I glanced at Julien who was sitting a little farther away from me.

     After eating breakfast, and after letting my grandmother literally reveal my background, Julien and I haven't really talked properly. I tried talking to him again when we were at the room, but he keeps brushing it off. So I got tired and just gave up.

     I think it's best if I give him some time to think first.

     "By the way grandmother, what's with all the boxes?" I asked, but grandmother just looks back at me and smirks.