Chapter 27

Notice when she observed that there was 'nowhere to run,' she was right. Nowhere to run.

Loki was more creative than she gave him credit for. She didn't even think to notice the window at the end of the hallway. What she did notice, however, was his increasing speed as he approached it.

Oh God, not again, she thought.

Aubrey, you should know by now that I am full of surprises.

And with that, he shed his satchel from his shoulders, holding it in both of his hands as he jumped, elbow-first, through the window. Aubrey was screaming like a banshee in Loki's head, for they jumped from the second story window, and the concrete was approaching fast.

Loki, on the other hand, was grinning like a child on Christmas morning because, unlike Aubrey, he knew that the ground was not their destination.

Quickly, he twirled in the air, his eyes closed and his mind unlocking the portion of his brain that kept his chaotic power under control. He let it envelop him completely while he focused on his goal.

I don't know what you are doing, but, whatever it is, be quick about it, Aubrey's thoughts were shrill.

Loki's eyes opened, and suddenly the concrete was shrinking. They rose in the air, gliding in the wind. Looking around, Aubrey saw the large, reddish-brown wings of a falcon pushing them higher in the air, and sharp claws that gripped Loki's satchel.

To say that Aubrey was shocked would be an understatement. Since when can you turn into a freaking BIRD!?

I don't know why you are surprised. Really, you've seen weirder.

It's just, why didn't you do this earlier? You can fly! Why not fly more often? Aubrey was sure that if she could turn into a bird she would probably be a bird more often than a human.

You'll see.

The Loki-falcon made a wide semi circle, facing back towards the hospital to see the staff sticking theirs heads out the shattered window, looking in wonder at the pavement that wasn't splattered with Loki guts, but instead with his strange Asguardian clothing.

So, Aubrey thought, when you turn back into a human you will be... She couldn't bare to finish her sentence.

Naked, yes, aren't you excited? He said in a sarcastic tone.

If Aubrey could've rolled her eyes, she would have.

So do you know where that restaurant was? Loki changed the subject.

I think I can help you find it, that's the hospital I went to, after all, she thought in reply. But you should seriously grab some clothes first. I don't want to be rescued by a naked madman. Having a madman rescue me is bad enough.

He chuckled to himself, which came out as a soft caw from the beak of Loki-falcon.

I agree. It's foolish to go off on rescue missions in the nude.

He swooped down to a small shop on the street advertising 100% American-made apparel, above which was an apartment where the owners slept. Loki-falcon flew closer, where one window that lead to a bedroom was left open. His approach to the window was careful, a slow glide to the opening. At the last second, he pulled the satchel closer to his feathered body, and tucked his wings closer to his sides.

There was a gentle bump as the satchel hit the window pane, but the elderly couple in the bed did not stir. So Loki-falcon continued through the open door and to the stairs that lead to the shop.