Chapter 19

Aubrey found herself... well... She didn't really know where she was. She seemed to be nowhere. The slightly plush ground beneath her bare feet was white, as was everything else that Aubrey could see. Looking around, she saw that there was nothing at all to look for, but she couldn't help but feel like there was more to it. The air around her was empty, that was the only way she could describe it, but it buzzed with energy. Aubrey realised the space wanted to be filled. It was like a blank sheet of paper all around her, waiting for her to pick up her brush.

So Aubrey started painting.

Now, don't think she just forgot about Loki's betrayal; actually, the situation was quite the opposite. Aubrey knew she would have to face it sometime, but she also knew that now was not the time, for a number of reasons:

Firstly, Loki had expected her to be gone building this entire time; she had to create something by the time he returned or he would be suspicious.

Secondly, for her innocent facade to continue, she couldn't dwell on Loki's actions too much. Aubrey would be better at hiding what she knew if she kept herself detached, and crying over it would only let it sink in.

Thirdly, why on Earth would she sit down and cry right now, when she had a world around her, waiting to be created? The crying could wait until later.

Aubrey looked around once more and smiled; this time she would keep her eyes open as she built from Dream.

Clear as the picture she had formed in her mind, a grassy meadow appeared around Aubrey, partially surrounded by tall, widespread trees. The clearing opened up to a wide expanse of clear blue ocean water lined with fine white sand. She set the sun over the water, and scattered a handful of stars in the indigo sky, along with a ringed planet or two.

Her bare feet now dug into cool soil, and the soft grass swirled around her knees, which, she just realised, were still clad in her pyjama pants. Aubrey shook her head. She couldn't build this amazing world while she was still in her pjs! Reaching into the long grass, she fashioned up a long, loose poppy red sweater, soft kaki pants and a pair of brown combat boots.

Now dressed, Aubrey experimented with the weather. A light breeze teased her hair, blowing it in her face. She sighed, once again irritated with the curls, and conjured up a brown headband, making the wind blow her hair out of her face as she put it in.

Now to get back to work.

The ground rumbled beneath Aubrey, and suddenly, shooting out of the red dirt, branches appeared before her, twirling around her like vines. They grew larger by the second until trunk emerged from under her. The form of a giant tree, a tree so large that the trunk occupied all of the space in the clearing, was surfacing, throwing clumps of dirt and grass everywhere. Aubrey herself stood in the cradle of the tree, where trunk separated into the individual branches. She smiled from exhilaration as she rose with the tree, soaring high above the other trees, until it finally slowed to a stop, and Aubrey could see for miles.

In one swift motion, she threw her hands out and the huge, smooth branches grew millions of offshoots, from which sprung hundreds of billions of shiny blue-green leaves. Aubrey smiled at the canopy of leaves above her head that allowed only a small amount of the setting sun's light in, feeling pride swell in her heart at the sight.

As she began building the wooden framework of rooms that nestled in the more distant branches, she saw a flash of red that could only be Loki's hair. She turned around to find that she was right; Loki sat cross-legged on a knot in the wood about thirty feet from her.

He stood up, "Impressive," he said, "not really my style, though. Where are the rich velvet curtains, the embellished gold walls, and, particularly, the soft, cushiony chairs?" He rubbed his behind, "I mean, seriously, you have all of your imagination at your disposal and you decide that you want to sit on the floor?"