Chapter 25

The cool night air hit Aubrey like a wall when she opened the door, and it was only after she had actually exited the house that she realized that she had no idea where she was going. Loki could be anywhere.

She walked up the sidewalk to the road in front of her house, clutching herself. She didn't even know if she was supposed to go left or right. And she wouldn't know until Loki was conscious again and they could recognize where he was.

"Shit," she whispered to herself.

Just find a place to stay until you have another seizure, then you can look for me, Loki thought.

Then why the hell did I just leave?! Why didn't I wait until I knew where you were?! Aubrey mind-shouted at him.

Because you would have told your family about me if you stayed here any longer.

She sighed, but I don't know where to go.

Don't worry I'm right here. I'll help you.

Ok.

So, with a nervous breath, Aubrey started walking without looking back. She walked and walked until she could feel blisters on her feet and stitches in her sides, while all the time avoiding thoughts about the family she just left. Soon, she was nearly downtown, and taxis zoomed past her.

Aubrey was in a daze, hardly noticing any of her surroundings. Unable to help herself, she kept thinking about how her life would never be the same despite the outcome of her confrontation with Loki.

Upon reflection, she finally realized the adventures weren't all they are cracked up to be. The stress pounded on the inside of her head, and she was emotionally exhausted. She missed comfort and regularity. And for once, Aubrey wished she was normal.

But these thoughts were quickly chased out of her head at the clamping of a sweaty hand over her mouth. Her stifled screams were heard by no one.

She was jerked backwards and pushed into a slimy alleyway, where her backpack was torn from her shoulders and searched by two other greasy-faced men in dark clothing. She couldn't think. She couldn't move. Still, she felt a wave of anger that was not her own rise up from her core and possess her mind with such persistence that her vision grew red.

As she was pushed to the ground by the first, sweaty-handed man, Loki yelled in her head, let me take them, Aubrey! You don't have to get hurt. Please, I was trained for this. A dark shape loomed above her, barely distinguishable in all the red.

Her expression eerily blank, she whispered, "do what you must." And she allowed him to take control.

The brute's determined grimace faltered at her words. She looked up at him, her blank look long gone, and grinned Loki's trademark Cheshire grin, her eyes flashing iridescent green.

"What the..." He whispered to himself, glancing at his companion.

"What are you doing?" The second man said. "Get on with it!"

The first looked back at Aubrey, but it was too late. She had pulled her knee up to his groin with all the force Loki could muster from her underdeveloped muscles. The man yowled, still attempting to hold her down but failing epically. Pushing him off of her easily, Loki set Aubrey in a fighting stance. Somehow, she had grown, and her hair was tinted red. With him in control, she was the image of ferocity.

The second man growled and threw himself at her. Loki was able to stretch her far enough to land a kick in his stomach, though her stiff muscles protested.

Loki was enjoying this, Aubrey could tell. Even though she wasn't exactly the fittest body to work with, he found a way to slowly antagonize the two like a cat would play with a mouse. He stayed in control of the situation, throwing jabs and kicks whenever he could, which was often, while letting his opponents strike, and miss, only when he got bored of hitting them.