Chapter 23

Aubrey's idea gave her such hope that she was so preoccupied with daydreams of a happy-ever-after that she could hardly tell Loki her perfect solution. She couldn't help but be giddy, for her discovery was flawless, but only if Loki agreed. If he disagreed, he would tell her to trust him, and she knew that she still wasn't prepared to stand up to him.

Stuttering over her words in her excitement, she filled Loki in. Don't you see? She thought, I don't need to be separated him, from my dad, I mean. Odin said he wouldn't take us because we are half human, right? Because we aren't special or whatever. But we are! He was wrong, right? Like, he didn't know that my mom is Drommare, or whatever she is. And Drommares are extinct, right? Or, they are supposed to be, I guess. But if he knows we are Drommare, then he will want us to stay here and help him since he we are the last ones. Don't you get it? I could stay here! My family doesn't have to be separated! I could live here with them! With my relatives! I've never had relatives before. She paused before she spoke again, deciding that she did actually enjoy Loki's company. And with you, she thought to him.

Loki paused, deep in thought. Aubrey, I know you mean well, he finally thought to her, but you need to think for a second. Odin will only use you. He will not love you like a normal grandfather would. The only love he will have for you is his love for your powers. He is a greedy man, and will probably find a way to steal your power from you to have for himself.

Aubrey's stomach clenched in anger, but she fought to suppress it. How could he say that while his own plan was to take Aubrey's power?

You know, he continued, that is how the Drommare became nearly extinct. Odin was- But Aubrey cut him off.

You don't get it, do you? I would rather be with my dad than have these powers. Sure they are great, but family is more important than that.

Loki hesitated, he wasn't sure why he did; Aubrey's mind was set. And he knew this time there was no stopping her.

Fine, he thought, but don't say I didn't warn you.

More hope bloomed In Aubrey's chest, and her happiness showed on Loki's face as a smile.

Stop that! He thought, his frustration growing.

So, Aubrey suppressed her emotions, or she tried to. Every now and then as Loki made his way to the throne room somewhat reluctantly, a smile pulled at the corner of his sly mouth.

But Loki found the throne room empty, as well as Odin's bedroom and balcony. And with every unoccupied room Loki searched, Aubrey's stomach grew queasier and queasier.

I'm sorry Aubrey, Loki thought as he walked out of Odin's room, I've looked everywhere I think he could be.

Aubrey didn't get a chance to reply, because at that moment, he nearly ran into a beautiful woman, that, though she was a stranger to Aubrey, was very familiar to Loki.

"My queen," he said, turning his charm on like a tap and bowing to her.

She's Odin's wife? Aubrey asked.

Yup, Loki replied, that is Queen Frigg.

"Ah, Loki," she said, her voice stiff, "where is Balder? Surely you would have retrieved him by now or you wouldn't be back?"

"Oh, about that... You see, there has been some complications-"

She cut him off, narrowing her steel grey eyes. "Don't you dare feed me your excuses. I don't want to hear it."

"Well, I think you will want to hear this."

Frigg tilted her head, her styled brown-blonde curls bouncing.