The Initiate.

Chapter 1

The third day of every third month allows me to look in the mirror whilst I cut my hair. It was one of the rare chances it was ok to look in the mirror, Abnegation rules say that we must object vanity. As I cut my dark brown hair the more I looked at the girl with long hair, dark curved eyebrows, a small mouth, a sharp chin, large green eyes and a hooked nose. The girl in the mirror and me were the same, except the girl in the mirror probably didn't have a burning desire to escape this faction unlike me. I've been told that I look similar to my mother and my older brother; both abandoned me and I hate them for it. My resemblance often drove my father to bring a leather belt across my skin, I still have scars to this day. That's probably what fuels my fire to escape from here, not having to live in constant fear. Even the thought of it brought a smile across my face.

I tied my hair into a knot; similarly to what every other Abnegation girl does. I then slide the wooden panel over the small mirror in our kitchen. Every day for the past 16 years I have looked at the grey walls of the house, wallpaperless and bland. Just like every house in Abnegation. Luckily there's a chance I will find out that I will no longer need to dress in grey, or only speak when spoken to, or just serve others without objection or receive a beating for slightly stepping out of line.

Today is the apitude test. Every year every 16 year old takes a test to see which faction they belong in, whether we're suited for Abnegation the selfless, or Amity the peaceful, or Candor the honest, Dauntless the brave or Erudite the intelligent. Then tomorrow we'll wher to live the rest of our life at the choosing ceremony.

This time three years ago my older brother, Tobias; left for Dauntless. He's not brave, he's a coward. He abandoned me just like Mom.

I grab my things together for today, luckily I won't need to go to school with a fresh scar from Marcus. I don't dare call him father, what father abuses his own kids? What Mother abandons her own childen? What brother runs off to the sunset without a care whilst his younger sister is still getting beaten up by a bully? A pathetic excuse for a family that's what. My cheeks get hot every time I think of that thought, reminding me of my bitter frustration.

I walk outside to catch the bus that will take me to school. The apitude test isn't until lunchtime. Once I'm on the bus I see the usual sight of Abnegation standing or giving up their seats to other factions. For them it was so easy to be selfless but not for me. Hopefully I won't need to fake it for much longer after today.

Once we arrived at school there was a mixture of moving colours: Erudite in blue, Candor in black and white because that is how they see truth, Dauntless dressed in black who were jumping off trains as they do every day, Amity laughing in red and yellow and there's us the 'stiffs' in conservative grey robes.

"Hello Sonia, how are you today?" Asked a soft females voice, that drew away from her lisp. I didn't respond I was too busy observing/admiring Dauntless. They seem so free of fear, free of doubt, free of any troubles. That's why Dauntless is known as the warrior faction. "Sonia?" She asked again.

"Oh sorry." I say escaping my trance. "I'm ok, how are you?" I turned around to look at a tall girl with pale skin, a long nose, small ears and light blonde hair tied up in a knot similar to mine. Her name is Cheryl; my next door neighbour. Both her parents work with Marcus in the government. Her brother, Dwayne chose to stupidly stay at Abnegation last year.

"Ah don't be, I suppose today is a little nerve wrecking for everybody." She replied smiling. Cheryl is probably my only friend, friendship is hard to maintain in Abnegation. Considering that we find hard to talk about ourselves.

"The scary thing is... I'm not scared for today...not scared. " I reply looking over to the Dauntless again.

"Well, maybe the test affects us all differently." Cheryl says holding her hands.

"Suppose so."

"Stiffs!" Shouted a group of Erudite in thick glasses. Tensions between Erudite and Abnegation have been building for the past year. Erudite believe Abnegation are corrupt and not nearly as selfless as we act. With Erudite believing that the food we are supposed to give to the factionless we keep for ourselves. But basically Erudite want control. Abnegation are those who run the government.

After hearing that comment I was about to walk over to them but Cheryl held out her arm.

"Just leave it, they're not worth it." Cheryl spoke.

"Suppose so." I mumbled. "C'mon lets go."

"Okay." We both walked into school, like the majority of the buildings in the city, the school is made up of glass and steel. As I looked up I could see a group of Amity slowly walk up the stairs from the large class window. But my mind drifted off to the sheer delight of not having to put up with Abnegation no longer.

'Not long now, Sonia. Not long now.'