Chapter 33.

I sit opposite from her in her office in the Erudite headquarters. A large glass window overlooks the Erudite compound as though she is watching them. And the whole city. She sits down and removes her glasses and places them in her chest pocket and smiles towards me. There is a knocking on the door.

"Come in please." She says with a second to none formal sounding tone of voice. She rests her hands by her computer. Her nails have been bitten raw. Weird how the rest of her isn't a step out of line. A young male with a muscular frame, dark brown hair, a hooked nose, green eyes and dimpled cheeks enters the room. I know this guy from somewhere. He hands Jeanine a pile of paper and he has nervousness to him. "Mine and Cara's lab report on the produce testing in Amity." He says. He briefly looks at me and looks back to Jeanine. He his quite good looking and I know for certain I know him from somewhere. Jeanine looks at the papers and makes a smile. "Ah, thank you Caleb, a hard worker as ever." I look up in shock. Caleb Prior? Tris's brother. He transferred to Erudite from Abnegation. I thought I recognized him. He looks strange in a suit, but handsome none the less. Though no match to Connor's appearance. He smiles giddly and his skin reddens. "Thank you Miss Matthews." Caleb says, he looks at me again as he leaves the office.

Jeanine puts the papers to the side of her desk in a neat pile. A young woman with her hair in a ponytail and dark red lips pours a brown liquid into two white cups beside me and Jeanine. "Thank you Laura." Jeanine says quietly. Laura nods her head and stands to the side. Jeanine takes a sip of her drink. "So Miss Eaton. Are you happy with your new faction?" She asks putting her cup down.

"It has its moments." I reply back. Jeanine adjusts a strand of her hair.

"Good. It is hard to sever bonds with friends and family. So many people don't stay true to themselves who they are. But that this the problem with human nature, it holds us back. That is why it is necessary to iron it out." She says not moving her grey eyes off of me.

"So you think human nature needs to be eradicated?" I ask her with shock. Human nature is what makes us. If it doesn't exist then who are we? Who are we if we aren't ourselves?

"Well I think human nature is the enemy. Human nature prevents us from the most important rule; Faction before blood. Difficult yes. But necessary in order for our survival, the faction system survival. Human nature almost destroyed our society the faction system is what brought it back." Jeanine explains. "As Dauntless you are required to protect the habitats of this city so therefore the faction system. And I am wanting to know if you would help me with that."

"Help you?" I ask. She nods her head.

"Yes. I need to know I can count on you to enforce the law even if someone you care about has broken it. Do you know Abnegation is breaking the law by putting up the faction less and harbouring Divergents?" She asks. I get a sick feeling in my stomach. Does she know I am Divergent? Does she have an exact list?

"No I wasn't aware but if that is correct then thank goodness I left." I say faking a smile. Jeanine chuckles making my blood heavy with ice.

"Good. Because if Abnegation continue to exist then they will eventually kill the faction system. Divergence is extremely dangerous it is the biggest threat we face along with human nature." There it is out of the smartest person in this city. Confirmation on how much danger I carry with me.

"Well I'll be glad to be any assistance to you." I respond light headed.

"Well I will have my car take you back to Dauntless." She says smiling.

I sit in her car in silence as we drive through Chicago. The sky is darkening and the streets are empty. I bite my nails until blood begins to draw. A drop of it falls onto the leather seating in the back. I have never been in a car. Not many people have; oil has become an extreme rarity that not many people can afford. In the night the black, sleek body work is probably difficult to see. Like a panther.