Chapter 9

(A/N: Sorry for the late update. I've been having health concerns for a while now but it has become more serious. I have a feeding disorder called ARFID. Basically I don't get enough food to help me gain weight because I've been a severely picky eater coupled with OCD and my mom has been babysitting which has added even more stress. I will try to continue updating on Friday's and hope to have a new chapter every Friday or every other Friday. Thanks for understanding. Picture is Jakob Tuller.)

This morning was like any other morning. I woke up to the hot L.A sun beating on my face and the feeling of someone frantically shaking me.

Turning over, still half asleep, I said, "What is it?"

"Letty, you need to get up. It's Austin. He's been in an accident."

That caught my attention straight away, causing me to shoot up, nearly banging foreheads with who woke me up. It was Nurse Jackie. "What? When? How? Who? Where?"

"One question at a time," she said, trying to get me to slow my breathing. My heart feels like it's about to pop right out of my chest. That how fast it's beating. I began taking deep breaths, trying to control my heart rate. "He was driving to deliver those papers you signed when another car smashed into him."

"Oh my god," I said, covering my mouth. "Is he okay?"

"He's okay," she assured. "He's next door at the hospital."

"Can I see him?"

"Sure, I'll take you right now."

We stood up and headed for the door. We were almost out before who else but Jennifer stepped in front of us. "Where do you think you're going?"

"I'm taking her to see her boyfriend. He's been in an accident. Now if you would." We tried stepping around her, but she blocked our path again.

"I was not aware that Ms Gonzalez here had special treatment and was allowed to visit people as she pleases."

I rolled my eyes before getting in her face. "Listen here, you little botox looking Barbie wannabe. I don't care what you say, okay? Nobody here is going to stop me from seeing Austin. One way or another I will be at his bedside. We can do this the easy way and you can walk away, letting us past. Or you can call security who is going to look at you like a joke. What's it going to be?"

She appeared to be considering it, before she finally stepped aside, letting us pass.

"Smart choice," I said before we headed for the lobby, which would be another obstacle in and of itself. It would really depend on who was at the front desk. If we're lucky, today it'll be Adelaide, a sweet old woman, who volunteers here in her spare time. If we're unlucky, it will be Bertha, another old lady, but she seems to hate everyone here. She really hates it when she catches people looking at the hairy mole on her long nose. It's a wonder why she's still working here. You'd think she quit if she dislikes the people around here so much.

All I could think was, Please be Adelaide, Please be Adelaide, Please be Adelaide.

Just my luck, as we peeked around the corner, we saw Bertha.

Turning to Nurse Jackie I whispered, "What do we do now? Bertha will never let us leave."

Nurse Jackie pointed behind me, causing me to turn back around.

Like an angel out of nowhere, Adelaide walked up to Bertha. "Hey, Bertha. I'm here so you can go on your lunch break."

Bertha seemed to glower at the always perky woman before wordlessly standing up and getting in the elevator.