Chapter 13

Austin

Driving to Letty's old house, my nerves were shot. All that kept running through my head were the 'what if's'?

What if this doesn't work? What if they catch on to me? What if I screw up?

Pulling up to the house, I put the car in park, and took a deep breath before stepping out.

I collected myself before walking up to the door and proceeding to knock.

I didn't have to wait long for someone to answer.

"Austin?" Seraphina, or Ambrielle, asked, clearly shocked to see me at her house. "What are you doing here?"

"Um. Is Lila here?"

She looked at me with furrowed brows. "Yes. Why?"

"Can I talk to her?"

"One second." She turned her head and yelled, "Lila! Someone's here to see you."

Footsteps approached as Seraphina, Ambrielle, whatever she wants to be called, walked away.

"What do you wa..." Lila began, annoyed, before she realized it was me. Instantly her mood brightened. She was smiling and her eyes lit up. She began patting down her hair, trying to fix it when there was nothing to fix. "Austin! What are you doing here?"

"I was wondering if I could talk to you?"

"Sure," she exited, shutting the door behind her. "What do you want to talk about?"

How do I start this conversation?

"What do you know about Blake and Letty?" I can only hope by starting with a different subject she'll let her guard down and I can get her to answer questions without realizing it.

"Oh, so you heard."

I knew what she was trying to do immediately. She was trying to make me nervous about the connection Blake and Letty have or had. But, what she didn't know is I'd already heard the tapes.

"Austin, I'm so sorry. I overheard her tell Blake that she wished they were still together and if she hadn't met you, they still would be."

Playing along, I allowed my face to drop, pretending that I was heartbroken at the news.

"She said that?" Willing tears to my eyes, I blinked allowing a single tear to roll down my cheek.

Lila hugged me, patting my back. "I'm so sorry, Austin. I thought you already knew."

She bought it. I guess my acting lessons paid off in my favour for once.

Now I just need to figure out how to ask her questions without raising any suspicion. I can't afford to screw this up because this may be the only chance we get. If I screw this up, everything will go downhill from here. We'll never get another chance to visit this house to search for evidence and Letty's uncle may stay in prison for the rest of his life for a crime he may not have committed.

"You can do so much better than her," she told me, still hugging me. At this, I rolled my eyes.

Apparently, she has a crush on me, which I hadn't noticed, but now it seems more obvious. Has it been staring me right in the face this entire time?

"I thought she really liked me. Have I really been that stupid all this time?"

She finally released me, this time clutching my face. She gazed deeply into my eyes and I pretended to gaze back. Slowly, she began leaning towards me.

At last, our lips touched, and I felt nothing. No sparks. No jolt of electricity. Nothing I felt with Letty, but I couldn't let Lila know that.

I placed my hands on her waist, forcing myself to kiss back, hoping it was convincing enough. I had to go along with it as not to blow my cover.