Lie For Me

A knock at the door gains everyone's attention, seeing as the class was pretty much silent. After a second, a kid from the office comes in and hands a early release slip to Ms Cabello who takes a pen from between her teeth and thanks him, and he leaves. A moment later, after reading the slip, she looks up at me and hands me the paper.

What? I didn't know I was supposed to go home early today... did something happen?

The slip doesn't say much, just that I need to go to the office and someone was there to pick me up.

Always the suspicious one, I pull my phone out and text Mama.

Me: are you or mom here to pick me up?

There's a small, maybe one minute delay before a reply.

Mama: no why?

Me: someone's at the office to bring me home apparently

Another, shorter pause, and then...

Mama: DONT GO Y/N! OLIVER'S CAR IS GONE DO NOT GO TO THE OFFICE!

Shit.

"I can't go." I tell the teacher, hoping she'll understand me but her confused frown says otherwise.

"What do you mean? You have to. Your parent is here to pick you up."

Instinctively, I look over to Cara for help and she must've noticed what's happening because she's looking extremely worried.

"Oliver?" She mouths, and I nod.

"Y/n, go to the office." Ms Cabello instructs but I shake my head and look back at her.

"No, I really can't-"

"Ladies and gentlemen, please pardon this interruption." The receptionist says over the intercom, "Can Y/n Y/l/n please come to the office. That's Y/n Y/l/n to the main office. Thank you."

By now everyone's eyes are on me.

"If you don't go, they're going to call me and ask if you're in class." Ms Cabello says quietly, like she's hoping everyone would look away as I hope the same.

"Lie for me." I blurt, and she looks taken aback so I move on to explain, "It's- it's a long story but it's my dad and I can't go home with him."

"She's telling the truth. You can even call her mom if you need to." Cara adds from behind me and I nod in agreement, even holding my phone out to her. She reads the last message from my Mama, and just nods, turning to her desk phone and pressing a few buttons before holding it up to her ear.

She chews on her bottom lip as she looks over at me with concerned eyes but immediately stops doing both when someone apparently picks up on the other end.

"Hi, yes this is Camila Cabello, Y/n's Spanish teacher. You just called her down to the office?" A pause, "I rang to inform you that she's not in class today, she never turned up..."

Another silence and this time her brow furrows and her eyes widen, "Oh, I'm sorry. I must've forgotten to count her absent when I called roll today." She lies smoothly except with a small chuckle. Then she nods even though the other person can't see her and says, "Thank you, have a nice day." Before hanging up.

"You," she points at me semi-jokingly, "Are going to get me fired."

Since the phone call started, she spoke quietly so that the other students couldn't hear and call her out or complain, and I'm really grateful for that but I'm also grateful for the fact that she was loud enough for me to hear, and now I know her name.

My phone buzzes which brings me out of a slightly giddy state (Camila, such a stunning name, honestly) and I see it's a text from Mama.

Mama: Y/n??

Me: sorry, I was sorting it out with my teacher. I'm still in class dw Im safe

Mama: thank god. Me and your Mom won't be getting out from work until a bit later tonight. do you think you could go to Caras? x

I can basically hear her relieved tone through the screen.

I tell her I'll ask and lock my phone just in time for the bell to ring.

Strategically, I begin to pack up and slip her pencil into my bag, knowing that I'm going to 'remember about it' as soon as I get to the door, giving everyone else chance to leave the room before sparking a conversation with her. Sure enough, once I reach the door, I'm the last to leave with Cara just in front of me.

"Oh!" I feign surprise, sending Cara a wink before spinning in my heels, which she smirks reassuringly at, "I forgot I borrowed your pencil." I explain when Ms Cabello, or should I say Camila, looks up at me in questioning.

"Thank you." She nods when I reach her desk and take it from my bag, popping it back into her holder. Once I'm done, I just look at her from where I stand in front of her desk, and she looks up at me from where she still sits, and I can't help but smirk a little. She blushes. Only a tiny bit, but she actually blushes.

Then she clears her throat and looks down at her computer screen again, continuing, "But you didn't really borrow it, more took without asking."

"I gave it back, didn't I?" I ask and she nods, grinning now, "That's what I call 'borrowing'."

There's a silence as she taps away at her keyboard, and then she stops suddenly and looks up at me again.

"Can I ask you something?" She questions and I take this as a chance.

"Go ahead, Camila." I reply and my cocky smirk grows tenfold as I lean down on her desk, my butt sticking out a little behind me.

"That's Ms Cabello to you." She scolds, subtly looking at said backside, but not subtly enough. With her eyes still glued to it (I knew it was something to be proud of but damn), I swing my hips just a tad and pull it off by disguising it as simply shifting my weight. Her eye widen, and she quickly clears her throat and looks back at the screen before her.

"Surely not behind closed doors." I offer, and she glances at her own before retorting,

"Ah, but mine is very much open."

Looking over my shoulder, I see that it is, in fact, still open. I'm surprised nobody has arrived yet.

"Got me there." I shrug and look back at her, "What did you want to ask me?"

That gets her attention back on me again and she rests her head on her hands in a similar way to earlier.

"What happened with your father? Why couldn't you go home with him?"

"Damn, straight into the personal stuff, I see." I mutter and she widens her eyes again and tries to take it back.

"I'm sorry, I shouldn't have asked, I-" she stumbles over her words but I just shake my head, telling her to stop.

"It's fine. It's just, he was with my mama but when she got pregnant he, just kinda disappeared so Mama moved on and, I guess now that I'm older and he hates us all and keeps trying to 'take me back' even though he was never in my life." I give her the simpler version, leaving out the bits that'd likely scare her off. She nods slowly and scans my face, so I make it as neutral as I can. A defence mechanism, maybe, but I've learned it's better than receiving unnecessary and unwanted sympathy, or hatred.

"I'm still sorry I asked. That was wrong of me." She says quietly and is it just me or did the temperature of the room just raise by ten degrees? I nod though, accepting her apology even though she really didn't need to give it, and she cracks a small smile.

"I'll write you a pass so you won't be counted tardy." She offers, "Where are you headed?"

Just as I'm about to decline, the warning bell rings and still, nobody is in her room. Maybe she has a free period next?

"The auditorium." I inform her and she nods again before pulling a pass from her drawer.