Chapter One--Before the Journey

Dedicated to SapphireAlena : My first story that I finished writing. You're awesome!

.-.-.-.-.

Kyros softened his footsteps as he approached his target, the girl leaning against the tree ahead of him. His feet followed after each other in near silence. The little noise he made blew away with the slight breeze. With the afternoon sun in front of him, his shadow fell behind him. It would not give him away. A little smile crept across his face as he stalked up to his prey—his partner and friend Erianthe.

The girl faced away from Kyros with her back leaning against a tree. Judging by the gleam of metal, he figured she was checking her sword's blade. Still, Erianthe would be alert, attentive, and anticipating any danger. He hoped she wasn't anticipating him.

Once he got closer, Kyros slid his bow onto his back and—

"Ha!" Noting her victory, Erianthe spun around but smacked her free arm on the tree. Quickly, her triumphant look morphed into one of embarrassment and mild pain as she hopped up and down from the pain. Kyros wasn't sure if the blush on her olive skin was from embarrassment about hitting her arm or jumping like a little rabbit.

Of course, her face could have been burned from the trek today like his skin. Even though the tanned tone they shared didn't burn much, spending the entire day in the open sunlight usually left red marks.

Once the surprise faded, Kyros hurried over to her and asked, "You okay?"

"I'm fine. I'm fine," she said. Erianthe shook her arm as if she were shaking out the pain. "But I still won."

"How'd you know I was coming?"

"I heard you put your bow away," she said and grinned. "You didn't trick me this time."

Kyros grinned back. "Glad your perception skills are getting better."

After exchanging a chuckle, the pair quieted down and walked down the path out of the woods. After a long day scouring the trees and the caves surrounding their town Delos, Kyros was ready to lay down and rest at home. With all the recent mad-beast sightings, the pair seemed to galavant through the woods every day. Kyros knew why. Outside the boundaries of Delos and its woods, a group of rogues traveled around inciting trouble. With looming threats of a devastating monster, the Rogues had decided on their own to reassemble an ancient weapon: the Orichalcum.

Gathering the pieces took its toll on the wildlife. His father had explained before about electricity and shockwaves and distortions affected the wildlife. The animals would turn into monsters. Kyros' stomach churned at the thought of anyone being so callous. Reviving large weapons was one thing; creating monsters, another.

All the new monsters were making it more and more dangerous for Kyros and Erianthe to do their jobs.

On his back, Kyros' bow felt heavier at that thought. He needed to use it to protect the town. That was his and Erianthe's job, which was given to them since birth. As a member of one of the two families guarding Delos, Kyros trained to excel at this purpose. As a member of the other family, Erianthe trained with him.

Their creed, in short: Defend the weak. Protect the innocent. Abstain from needless violence. Above all, fight for what is right.

In his mind, Kyros glanced at Erianthe and added another part to the creed—not one for the two of them but just one for himself.

In the quietness of their trek back, Kyros ruminated over these thoughts. For a while, the quiet remained unbroken like a still pond.

Erianthe broke the silence. "Are you worried about the Rogues? About the rumors that they've been sighted near the edge of the woods?"