Chapter 3: Duck and Weave

C.P.O.V

"Clary!" yelled Jocelyn.

Wren started to wiggle in my lap, and sleepily asked "Grandma?"

"Yes Wren,  Grandma!" I whispered to her. She jumped up and flew towards my mother and Luke who had just come back from getting our bags.

Wren leaped in the air and my mother caught her and started to spin her around in her arms.  "Hello, hello, hello! How is my darling doing today?" asked Jocelyn, as she set Wren down and leaned towards her.

"Gooood..." replied Wren eyeing the lollipop that had started to slip out of Jocelyn's sleeve. "Now let's see how you really did. Clary, how did little Wren behave?"

But the seemingly loving scene was lost to Clary because she though she had caught a glimpse of gold light in the crowd, she started to walk where she had seen it. She felt the smallest pin-prick of hope, but it was gone as quickly as it had started.

"Clary, Clary!" Jocelyn exclaimed, trailing behind her. She finally caught up to Clary and grabbed her arm. "Honey what is it?"

"Nothing!"Clary still looked around for another half second before finally locking on Jocelyn. "I just thought I saw somebody, don't worry about it!" Clary yelled back. Jocelyn frowned, but Clary just put on a convincing smile and walked back to Luke with Wren on his hip.

J.P.O.V

I left the Institute and stopped right outside the gates to put on an invisibility rune and started to sprint out of the gate.

After Clary left, the airport became more and more infested with demons because of the huge crowds of people. Also because of the fact that the tarmacs for the airplanes were surrounded by  huge fields, which were perfect for breeding grounds.

I searched and searched all around for demons, but activity was low today, so I decided to people watch.

I started doing this after Clary had left, blending in, watch people go on with their lives. They were not worrying about demons or whether or not they would be alive tomorrow. They were concerned about ticket prices, and if their flight would be on time. Just to be distracted from the fact of the love my life was gone, and probably was never going to return. But, I could, for just a moment,  pretend all was right with the world, and pretend my Clary was coming home to me.

But I had noticed a flash of red in the crowd, and I know it was real this time. I pushed and shoved people out of my way and followed the bright red hair. She turned around and I quickly ducked behind a wall, disappearing from view. 'Shit that was a close one.' I thought to myself as I followed her again.

I followed her around the crowd to see that she really had returned, and Luke, Jocelyn,  and this little girl with bright red braids with them. 'Luke and Jocelyn must have had a kid.' I think to myself as I sprint back towards the Institute with the news.