Ch 8: Getting to know each other

The cabin looked new and cozy like a modern tiny house but a bit bigger. The girls stared in awe but slowly they started looking around the cabin, they noticed there was stairs leading up. "Alright, lets check this place out." Stella said.

"Veronica and Adrianne, check upstairs." Stella commanded, and both of them nodded. They took out their weapons and walked slowly upstairs. Stella looked at Zoe and Liz. "You girls guard the door and I'll be with Angela checking downstairs." They all got into their positions. "Are you scared?" asked Veronica, as they got upstairs. "No, why should I be? I have my gun and I got you." Adrianne smiled, and they both fist pumped. They saw a big room with three bunk beds.

They sighed of relief and they also spotted a bathroom upstairs. "Nice bathroom." Veronica said, and Adrianne turned it on but nothing occurred. "Shitty bathroom." Adrianne replied and they headed downstairs. "Found anything? " asked Zoe, and they both shook their heads. "Three bunk beds and a bathroom that doesn't work for shit." Veronica replied, as Zoe and Angela walked toward them. "This  cabin is fine, but we gotta be careful out here." Stella told them.

Zoe's stomach made a big sound. "Sorry to burst your bubble Zoe, but there is no food in the fridge." said Angela, and Zoe chuckled nervously. "Hey, how about we hunt?" asked Veronica and Stella shook her head. "No, we can't do that." She replied, and they looked at her confused. "Why not?" Adrianne asked her. "Because we are not trained for that, right? " Zoe intervened and Stella nodded.

"So what should we do since Zoe is hungry?" Liz asked. "Since when did you all care about me?" Zoe thought to herself. Angela gasped, "I know! How about we look at the other cabins for food?" she smiled big. "Hey that's a good idea! " Liz agreed and Stella nodded. "Alright, lets do that then!" They all split up into twos. Adrianne with Veronica, Stella with Angela and Zoe with Liz.

There weren't many cabins in the area, there were about fifteen, but Stella assumed there were more cabins out in the state park. "I got all of the cabin keys!" shouted Angela, raising the keys high as she was running up the hill. "She better not fall." muttered Veronica, and Adrianne nudged Veronica's elbow. They all split the keys.

Zoe and Liz ran to the first three cabins, unlocking them fast. They didn't find food in either of them. "Crap!" Zoe kicked the door out of frustration. "Hey, kicking the door won't help. I get it you might be "hangry" but chillax!" Liz said, and Zoe sighed. "I'm sorry, but this is frustrating!" she replied, and Liz looked around. "Keep this a secret." She gave Zoe a snicker bar and Zoe gasped, shocked. "Because you're not you when you're hungry." Liz replied, and she nodded taking the chocolate bar.

Stella and Angela managed to find food in the cabins they unlocked. "We got lucky, huh?" said Stella, in a cocky way and Angela giggled a little. "I guess we did, but we need a bag because we can't carry all this!" she then found a duffel bag, while searching. "Alright, Stella put it all here!" Stella placed all the food in the duffel bag and Angela closed it tightly. "We are good to go!"

Adrianne and Veronica went to the last few cabins. At their last one, Veronica ran to the bathroom and Adrianne shrugged. "I'll just do it myself then." She said and walked to the fridge. She found canned food like, Campbell Soup and Chef Boyardee. "Damn, I haven't had Chef Boyardee for ages." she said as she stacked the canned foods. All of the sudden, she heard a sound go POP POP POP! She screamed and ducked. Veronica ran out and showed off her metal staff, ready to fight. It was a guy, looking in his teens, wearing park ranger clothing.

The girls stared at him for a second, trying to analyze what just happened until Veronica broke the ice. "Who the fuck are you?" she asked. Adrianne stood up and crossed her arms, waiting for an answer. "I'm Isaac, the park ranger." he responded, and walked toward them. "Who are you?" he asked. Both girls said their names and the other girls ran to the cabin, since they heard Isaac's gunshots. "What's going on?!" yelled Liz and Stella stepped in. "You're a park ranger right?" She asked and Isaac nodded. "How did you know we were here?" Angela asked, looking at Isaac. "I was up in the tower and I saw you girls near the cabins. I didn't think people would be here during this apocalypse, especially girls. "  He declared.

"Well that's kind of sexist." Zoe said. "No, that's not what I was implying." he replied, and Zoe smiled nervously. "Also, you girls shouldn't barge in the cabins, that's wrong to do." he informed. "We were looking for food, our apologies." Adrianne replied, and he smiled. " I understand, I'm just doing my duty as a park ranger. Well I should head to the tower, but be careful." He turned to the door, but Adrianne stopped him by holding his wrist. "Wait! You shouldn't be out there alone in this apocalypse." She kept going. "Stay with us, we are We Who Live."

"We Who Live, have you seen my vector? With this bad boy, nothing will occur to me." He showed his vector and she looked at him confused. "I see, but it's best to stay in a group. "She replied and he sighed. "I do know this place pretty well, and having a group wouldn't be that bad." he thought to himself. "Alright, but I have my little sister with me. Amie!" He called her, and the little girl ran to him. "Awww you are cute Amie! How old is she?" Liz asked, and Amie hid behind Isaac. " Sorry, she is really shy with strangers but she is five years old." he replied.

"Hi..." She whispered, and hugged Isaac's leg. "Amie, it's okay. They are the good g- " he was cut off by Adrianne. "We are We Who Live, Amie." She said with such pride. "Like... heroes?" Amie asked, looking at Adrianne. "I guess you could say that." she giggled, and Amie made a little gasp. Isaac looked at Adrianne and mouthed, "Thank you."

It was starting to get dark, so they all went outside and made a bonfire to eat. As they ate, the other girls told their names to Isaac. They huddled around the fire as it got darker and sat on small logs they found in the woods. "Ah, just what we needed. Although my butt is in pain because of this stupid log." Zoe admitted, as she ate her Campbell Soup, and everyone laughed. "It's not that bad. This feels like a camping trip." replied Veronica, and Adrianne picked up a pine cone. "Are you guys bored?" she asked, and everyone nodded. "Okay, then let's play this. When someone gets the pine cone, tell us a secret of yours!" Adrianne said with a lit of excitement. "But isn't that invasion of privacy?" Isaac asked, and the girls rolled their eyes.

"So what? We are in a bad situation anyway." said Liz, and Isaac sighed. "Sorry if I sound rude Liz, but I don't know you girls that well. All I know is your names, and the only person I truly know is Amie." He looked at Amie as she ate her Chef Boyardee. "You'll get to know us then, unfortunately. " Stella muttered. "Okay changing the game, when someone gets the pine cone tell us about yourself. Better?" Adrianne looked at Isaac, and he nodded. She threw it and it landed on Zoe. "Oh, well I really like photography, I even have a blog about it." She announced, smiling nervously. "I really like your blog, Zoe!" Veronica replied, and she giggled looking down. "Thanks Ronnie." She threw the pine cone and it landed into Isaac's hands. "Oh." he said.

They all looked at him, waiting. "I was hoping I got to know you all first so I get encouraged." he admitted. "Alright, give it to me then." Adrianne replied, he threw it to her, and it landed on her hands. "Well I'm a writer, I have wrote stories since I was twelve, and it became a passion of mine." she announced. "What stories did you write when you were twelve?" Isaac asked, curious. Liz covered her mouth trying to not laugh. "Fan fictions of.... Justin Bieber. " She hesitated but then admitted, and everyone laughed.

"Who's next?!" Adrianne asked giggling and Liz held Stella's arm up and she threw the pine cone at Stella. "No, I didn't want it, Liz held my arm! " Stella complained and Adrianne shrugged. "Ugh, well my favorite film is Kill Bill." she announced, and everyone nodded, she threw it, and it landed in Veronica's hands. "Well, I'm a makeup artist on YouTube, but I'm not that popular." She threw it and it landed on Liz's hands.

"Oh! I work in a retro arcade because I'm a big fan of video games so, I'm a gamer." She giggled and it was Angela's turn. "I'm really obsessed with Disney so I was really hoping that next summer I could work as a Disney princess." She announced. Isaac was the last one left, and everyone looked at him. "Wow.. um.. I'm a park ranger because of an injury during military training, so that's why I have a vector."

"Oooh, that makes sense." Adrianne replied, and he nodded smiling. Amie fell asleep on Isaac's lap. "Should we all head to sleep?" Zoe asked, and Stella shook her head. "We can take turns sleeping, we gotta watch out for the zombies." Everyone groaned and Stella shook her head. "Who is willing to volunteer? " Liz raised her hand with her bat of nails on the other hand, and Isaac also volunteered. The three of them decided to take turns for the night as the others rested. Tomorrow is a new day....