|ChApTeR FoRtY NiNe| Forever A Protector

Start from the beginning

In the middle of catching my breath, I got it taken away again. My head snapped downwards as I narrowly dodged the sharp edge of a sword. No, I realized when I looked up once more. 

Red eyes stared back at me. It was a katana.

Leaping into a standing position, my feet skidded and zipped along the bathroom tiles. Dodging my opponent's precise stabs and slashes was difficult enough. Feeling the rhythm of his attacks, I pushed back and parried. Our swords clashed together as if they were engaged in a dangerous dance-one misstep and the balance would be thrown off. 

"Man, all I came here to do was take a piss, and I honestly feel so attacked right now." I tried to make conversation, but he was having none of it. How boring.

I barely kept up with him. I was currently exerting all my energy into not getting sliced in half, but I was still interested in the peculiar look of my opponent. Other than the vibrant color of his eyes, he was dressed in the exact same way as Japan, only in black. 

'A 2p for sure.' I concluded. He fit Luciano's description well-they have an unusual eye color, violent intent, and the look of their 1p counterpart if they were either a murderer or part of a gang. Being reminded of Luciano, I attempted to talk to him. 

'...Vargas? I'm in a bit of trouble. If you're still recharging and you don't have enough energy, it's okay. Stay there. I'll be back soon to visit you. I just need to-'

A sudden thud. There was a swelling of heat on my face, so much that it felt as if my cheek were burning. Gripping my chin in pain, I caught my balance and forced myself to remain standing. It had slipped my mind that I was outnumbered.

I began to slowly move my jaw to make sure that my teeth were still intact. My lungs heaved in air, and wheezed out shaky breaths. Out of nowhere, the katana's blade was dangerously near my face again. My arm instinctively reached out and I was able to catch his sword in mine. I gritted my teeth, struggling to beat him in strength. 

Then the punches returned. Hastily pulling my sword away to dodge, the force of his katana lunged forward and cut my thigh. Fire sunk into my skin and its flames pierced my wounds. Their merciless didn't slow. I stuck to dodging until I suddenly couldn't anymore. 

A kick to my stomach and black dots clouded my vision. I coughed out a little something more than just spit. I was cornered.

'Maybe...maybe I won't get to visit...after all...

I'm sorry.'

A loud, booming crack. 

The faint sound of a swishing knife, followed by the thud of two bodies collapsing to the floor. Then it was the clicking of boots and his face in front of mine.

"At least be considerate and say sorry to me in person, will you?"

"Huh? What do you mean?" Despite every ache in my body, I reached over and lightly punched him in the arm. "I would never apologize to you."

Luciano smiled softly and I thought everything was fine until, before I could pull back, he held my hand. "Well, I apologize. Sincerely."

His fingers were cold to the touch. I met his gaze and inspected his eyes for some kind of lie or hint of sarcasm, but there really was only truth. 

"It's alright." I whispered, noticing that my voice was failing me. "I forgive you. It wasn't your fault."

"I know that. Yet why do I still feel this guilt in my chest, (Name)?" He was choking up, confusion and rage being set aflame in his magenta orbs. Luciano slammed his hand against the wall, right above my shoulder. "Why?! This isn't me! I could take advantage of you at times like these, but I choose not to. Every. Damn. Time. Wh...Why is that?"