You Smile Rather Than Cry

A/N: I hope you enjoy! This is The Heir by Kiera Cass inspired. This doesn't mean that I will copy the book outright.

My mother looks upon me with a smile on her face. She dusts off imaginary dust on the white strap on my shoulder.

"You look beautiful, my dear queen." She says, stepping back to allow me to look at myself in the mirror.

My hazel eyes take in the beauty before me. The beauty who is wearing a simple, yet classic wedding dress with a silk tail trailing behind her and her hair cascading down her shoulders in a waves.

And I could not forget the gold crown upon her head, the jewels stealing the show. It will make jaws drop, I am sure of it.

I never thought that the beauty in the mirror would be me. My brother was supposed to be married. Not me.

Then, the law changed. The law that set my brother free and chained me. When I have a daughter and a son, I will make sure the firstborn has a choice.

"I am not queen yet, Mother." I reply, my eyes never leaving the mirror.

"Well you are queen to me." She replies, brushing a lock of hair out of my eyes.

I turn to her and give a nervous smile. "Do I really have to marry?"

My mother nods. "The people are losing hope. This is the way to create hope among our people. You will understand, soon enough. When you are the new queen of this country, you will truly understand what your father and I go through."

I sigh and reply, "Right, Mother."

A knock sounds at the door which signifies that it is time for the wedding to begin. My mother brings me to the church and my father stands at the side of the last pew.

My mother signals the flower girl which is my niece, Cecile to carry the tail of my wedding dress. Cecile gives me a large smile while my mother finds the seat that is designated for her.

"You look beautiful, Circe." Cecile whispers, behind me. I turn my head to give her a smile, my eyes conveying my thanks.

My father loops his arm around mine and says, "You look as beautiful as your mother when we got married."

My smile grows wider, knowing that my mother is extremely beautiful in the eyes of my father and it's a huge compliment.

As my father walks me down the aisle, my smile fades as my fiance comes into view. I should have never agreed. There could be a better way.

My steps falter and my father ushers me along, hurriedly. He knows that I will get cold feet.

I reach the altar and my fiance, Luke pulls me up. I now stand across from him.

The priest starts talking about love and marriage. I don't bother to listen. Why listen when you are not in love and never will be in love with this person?

Soon, it is time to exchange the rings and to say those 2 fated words, called, "I do."

We skip the vows because we are not in love. We are marrying for an alliance and for peace among our people, his and mine.

Luke puts the ring on my finger and says, " I do." His eyes carry a wistful glance at the camera, hoping that the girlfriend he left behind is watching.

He loves another person and I love no one.

I put the ring on his finger and take a deep breath. My parents had to practice with me so much for me to say those words without choking and tears coming to my eyes.

"I do." I say in a choked voice.

I have sealed my fate and my future.