The Responsible One

"You're WHAT?"

His mother repeated, still staring at him.

"I'm gay mom," he said calmly, his fork shaking slightly in his right hand. His sister smiled smugly at him across the table, but underneath it she reached out and squeezed his left hand, and smiled again, this time a little more seriously.

"Okay. Okay. Okay. Right..." His mother repeated, having some trouble getting to grips with the news. But then her face changed, having come to a decision about something. Beneath the table he gripped his sister's hand a little tighter.

"Honey, it's okay. I support you. I can't say expected it, so I might not be the best person to help you out with some of this, but I promise to be there for you. I know this might be hard, I mean, it's a huge thing and some people might not be as accepting as others, but I just want you to know that I'm so proud of you for telling me, I know it can't have been easy."

"Mom!" Gabriel croaked, reaching out and hugging her gratefully.

"Thank you so much for understanding. It really means a lot."

"Of course!" She replied, "I'm your mother, I'll always love you no matter what. Now, we need to finish eating this now or I'll make the pasta go all salty."

After the meal Gabriel trooped up the stairs and encountered Quent lying on his bed, with his laptop open and his Facebook account on the screen.

"What the hell are you doing?" Gabriel whisper yelled at Quent, fully aware that Quent wasn't supposed to be in the house, and probably should have snuck out a while ago while they were eating.

"I got bored waiting for you up here, so I just had a quick peek." Quent whined.

"Do you not know the meaning of the word privacy? Besides, how did you even log on, you don't know my password." Gabriel hissed.

"It was open on this screen already, you left it on."

"No I didn't! I have a sister, I know better than to leave my Facebook account lying around."

"Okay, so maybe I had a look round for where you might have hidden your password details. It was quite easy to find actually, you should hide it somewhere better next time."

"It was buried inside a pot plant on top of the wardrobe! Why were you so eager to look at my Facebook page anywa... You were looking for naked pictures weren't you." He concluded. Quent looked a little sheepish and his ears went a little pink.

"I can't believe you! You're supposed to be the responsible one." Gabe shouted.

"I was not looking for naked pictures, I..."

"You so were." Gabe interrupted.

"I was not. But you need to hide personal information- like your Facebook password better. As in, somewhere not in your mind where I can see it. Your wall isn't that good yet."

"Whatever. Anyway, are you going to leave anytime soon, or are you just going to stay in my bedroom forever, no matter how hard I try to get rid of you like that spider I keep seeing?" Gabe asked.

"I don't know...I kinda like your bedroom. For one thing, it has you in it, and also it's a lot gayer than I imagined it to be."

"How is my room gay?" Gabriel said, outraged.

"There are pictures of guys everywhere. Don't most teenage boys have girls on this walls?"

"There are band posters everywhere. That's totally normal." Gabe defended.

"There's a shirtless picture of Andy Biersack above the door. I have no idea how you convinced anyone you were straight."

Gabriel blushed slightly and looked around his room. Now that he thought about it...

"Either way, you still need to get out my room before my mom finds you and cuts your balls off." Gabriel threatened him, his arms crossed over his chest.

"Wait, no! There was something important I found..."

"...While you were looking for naked pictures of me." Gabe cut in.

"Yeah, while I was looking for... Oh crap." Quent trailed off.

"I knew it! I can't believe you went through my computer looking for dirty pictures of me!" Gabe yelled, a little too loudly.

"Shhhh. Be that as it may, we still have a huge problem." He swiveled the laptop around so that Quent could see the screen as well, and clicked on a picture that Gabe had been tagged.

It appeared to be a picture of two guys kissing. Both of them seemed to be enjoying themselves, but why someone would tag him a photo like that he had no idea.

"I don't get it." He said, turning to Quent. Quent sighed.

"For a guy with such a high GPA, you can be incredibly dense. Look at the picture again. Except this time, look at their faces and see if you can tell who those two people just might be."

With a sense of horror, Gabe turned to look back at the picture. Before, he'd been too busy concentrating on their mouths to really see what the people in the photo's faces looked like. Now he was looking, and the two people looked an awful lot like him and Quent.

"It might not be us," he reasoned, not very hopefully. Quent raised his eyebrows at him sarcastically.

"That's the same place we went to today, we look exactly the same, and you're wearing a football shirt that says "Gabe" on the back. I think that's pretty solid evidence, don't you?" Quent said dryly.

"Aaaaaaaargh, what the hell are we going to do? I can't believe this happened now, I've only just started to learn about this myself, I don't want the whole school knowing about us! What will people say about us, Quent?" Gabe quietly freaked out.

"I don't know, I..." Quent tried to reassure him.

"Actually, I know what they'll say! They'll call us Gay and Queer! It's going to be terrible."

"We've been through this. Nobody is going to hate us. Some people might not be as accepting as others, but we'll make it through together, I know we will. As long as I have you, and you have me, nothing bad can happen." Quent whispered to Gabe, kissing him softly.

"Except if my mom finds you here," Gabe said, pulling away reluctantly after a few seconds. "Then all hell will break loose. Now go. I'll see you at school tomorrow. And I sure hope you're right about everyone.

"Of course I am." Quent stated. "When am I ever wrong?"

Gracefully he climbed out the window, giving Gabe a final kiss before dropping down onto the grass before. And then tripping over something and falling into a bush. But even as Gabe laughed his ass off at him, he couldn't quite push down the bad feeling nestled in his stomach.

Aloha peoples! All 1,700 of you! I am so sorry this is really late. Seriously. I've honestly been super busy recently with exams and whatnot, but it makes me so happy to know that that many people would take the time to read this. Thanks guys.

IF YOU SEE ANY GRAMMAR/SPELLING MISTAKES PLEASE TELL ME!!!