Why is it pink?

"It's pink. Why is it pink?"

That was Gabe's first thought when he woke up all alone in a strange room. It probably should have been something like "Where am I?" Or "Why am I here?" Or "Who put me here?" Rather than a question about the interior design, but even in highly stressful, dangerous situations Gabe never was one to be conventional.

"Aaaaaaaargh!" Was his second thought. He had been placed in a small, square room with nothing in it except the bed he had woken up on, and a large mirror almost covering one wall. And the whole room, from the walls to the ceiling was painted a sickly shade of pink. It was quite unnerving actually.

"Gabe, calm down," Said Quent telepathically.

"Aaaaaaaaargh!" Gabe replied.

"Okay, okay, okay. Gabe, I'm being serious. You. Need. To. Calm. Down. Now. Someone will probably come and ask us some questions soon. It's going to be fine, just keep talking to me and remember that we did nothing wrong. Just tell the truth, and I'm sure all this will be over soon. As long as you relax, we'll be absolutely fine."

Okay. We did nothing wrong. We did nothing wrong. Relax. Relax. Relax. Relax. Relax." Gabe repeated to himself. A few seconds later, someone opened the door and walked in.

"IT WASN'T ME, IT WAS THE MAN WITH THE GREEN HAT!" Gabe yelled.

Inside his head, Quent just sighed. Gabe was totally hopeless.

The person who had just walked in didn't laugh. In fact, it was difficult to imagine her ever laughing, at anything. She was tall with her mousy brown hair pulled into a bun so tight you could see the veins, and she had one of those ageless faces that could make her ten years older or younger than she actually was. Her business suit was as neat and straight as her perfectly trimmed fingernails, and everything about her screamed professional.

"Good morning Mr Walters. I trust you slept well? Sedating you was an unfortunate, but necessary procedure. It will do you no lasting harm. Now, If you could just follow me to the next room, there are a few things we wish to know." She said, in a clipped, even tone with no emotion.

"Well, actually..."

"Just go with her," Quent advised.

"We should try to make this as easy as possible. Someone will probably come for me as well soon, but I'll stay talking to you."

"Who are you?" Gabe demanded, once they were seated in the room next door.

"We are the government. A particular department that deals with...special cases such as yours."

"Why am I here?"

"That will be explained to you shortly. Now, if you're finished with the questions..."

"I have just one more. Why was my room pink?"

"We find that it helps with some of our more... challenging guests. This is a shade of pink known as Baker-miller pink. It can dramatically reduce stress and aggression levels after just a short amount of time looking at it. It is used in prisons to help calm troublesome inmates. Now, let's begin. How long have you known Mr Matthews?"

"Just be honest," Quent whispered in his head.

"I've known Quent about...two months, I guess? Why do you want to know?" Quent asked defensively.

"Just a few questions. Nothing serious. How did you meet?" She asked

"We met at school."

"Did you become friends?"

"Yes, we did."

"And at what point did you sleep together?" She asked with a totally straight face.

"Well, it was...WAIT WHAT?" Gabe yelled, staring at her incredulously.

"We need to know the answer to this question. As long as you don't resist, and just answer the question, everything will be fine. If you don't... Well, let's not think about that, shall we?"

Gabe looked around awkwardly. He really didn't want to answer the question, but he also really didn't like the idea of the things the woman in front of him was implying if he didn't.

"It was about three weeks after we met, at a party. So a month and a bit ago." Gabe said, his cheeks flushing a little. The woman in front of him just sat on her chair, posture as perfect as a ballet dancer's, her face still made of stone.

"And have you noticed any significant...changes since that time?"

"What do I do?" Shrieked Gabe at Quent inside his head.

"If she's asking, then presumably they already know, and so I think your only option is to tell the truth. From what I've heard, they won't appreciate you lying."

"There have been a few changes since that event," he said to the woman, "I've been able to do...some stuff I couldn't before.."

"Interesting. Can you tell me about this...stuff, what kind of things does it enable you to do?" She asked, leaning forward slightly.

"There are three different things. I can communicate with Quent through my mind. We have a kind of bond, and he's the only one I can talk to."

"So that's telepathy." The woman interjected.

"The second thing is I can move things with my mind. I'm not sure how much I could move though, since I've only tried with small things before."

"Telekinesis." She said.

"And the final thing is I can sort of freeze people. Like, for them time isn't moving anymore. It's hard to explain."

"So you could freeze me, walk out the room, and when I awoke I wouldn't even know a second had passed?" The woman asked.

"Well, pretty much, yes." Gabe replied. Just for a second, he thought he saw a look pass over the woman's face. He didn't know what it meant, but he didn't like it.

"I'm going to ask you one more question, and you must answer me truthfully. If you don't, the consequences will be very severe. Have you ever used these powers to commit a crime?"

I'm sorry! I know I haven't updated in absolutely ages, and I left it on kind of a cliffhanger. The next update will be soon because it's the holidays and I have nothing better to do.

So, lots is happening. Finally. It's a bit mysterious at the moment, but all will be explained soon. And we are kinda near the end of the story. I think.

Vote!

Comment!

And you probably don't need to be told this anymore, but...

IF YOU SEE ANY SPELLING/GRAMMAR MISTAKES PLEASE TELL ME!!!