Demon Huntress (Alt Collector) Chapter 1

My mother can be such a lawyer sometimes. I'd asked to get my tongue pierced on what she thought was a whim. So, she told me I had to give her an essay, at least fifteen hundred words long, before she'd consider it. I showed her. I researched the place where I wanted to get it done and all the aftercare I'd need to do. My reasoning for wanting it done? No one else in my sophomore class had it done, and I was a leader not a follower.

It was hard to argue with that logic.

The real reason behind it? I wanted to show my ex­-boyfriend, Jonathan, I would  do it. And, my brother, Sean, bet me a hundred bucks I wouldn't ask Mom and I wouldn't go through with it.

"Fine, you get fifty now, and fifty in a week when I see that you keep it," Sean handed me money. He'd be giving me fifty dollars in a week. "I can't believe you actually did it."

I grinned and counted my money. "I sure did."

"Now, get out of here, the guys are coming over," Sean tried to shoo me out of the family room. "We're going to watch sports and talk about girls."

"Yeah, whatever. And don't text me to pop you popcorn," my tongue was now killing me, and I wanted to get up to my room so I could IM my best friend, Kara. I  walked out of the room and ran right into my father.

"Drink this," he handed me a small bottle of green liquid. "I can't believe we agreed to this request." I gave him a funny look. "It's a healing potion. I need to talk to you, and have you ask me questions that I can understand."

My dad is a really powerful witch, and I trusted him so I downed the liquid. My tongue felt instantly better. "Let me go answer the door and I'll come into your study."

"Sounds good," Dad walked off and closed his door.

"Hey," I said to Sean's friend, Brody. "Sean's in the family room."

"Cool," Brody smiled at me. He is so gorgeous. He's got blond hair and blue eyes and one of the best bodies at Thomas Johnson Prep. I could look at him all day. "Are you going to join us?"

"Yeah, Emily, are you going to join us?" Nate, another one of my brother's hooligan friends walked up behind Brody. Nate is gorgeous too, he has intense green eyes and really dark brown hair, but he's a bit of a player so he doesn't turn my head like Brody does.

"I don't think so. I have to talk to Dad about something, and I doubt Sean wants me in there," I left the door open and walked away.

"Shame," one of them said. I think it was Brody, but I can't be sure.

"What's up, Dad?" I shut the door behind me and took a seat across from him.

"You know how Sean is a psychic," Dad began and I nodded. "Well, you're going to be more special. You're what's called a Collector, and there's only one born every two hundred years."

"Um, ok, what's a Collector?" I wondered if my face looked as puzzled as my voice sounded.

"You know that people can have certain powers," I nodded again, he'd told us all of this all our lives. 

"Well, usually they have one power, unless they're a witch. But, I have to cast spells in order to really harness any power. Collectors get very special powers, all from different ways. Once there was a Collector who got their powers from animals, but only wild ones. Another Collector was gifted powers from the fairies."

"How do you know it's me though? And how will I get mine?" I'm still not totally understanding all of this. "I mean, why me?"

Dad stood up and walked over to the table that's in his study. "Come here," he motioned me over. "This is the star char from when you were born," I understood some of it. "See here how the stars are aligned? That's the mark of the Collector." He opened a book and showed me the alignment. "It's you, Emily. Sean will work with you as your psychic, and eventually all of his visions will have to do with things you'll fight."