Chapter 12

Our first training session with the werewolves was today after school. I was very nervous about it. For sure, it was going to be a lot harder than Brody sitting on the couch in my basement holding me as we watched movies. I had ridden with Dad when we took him home, and Dad didn't even give me a hard time about role reversals or anything when I walked Brody to his door to say goodbye.

My dagger was in my backpack burning a hole in it. I wanted nothing more than to find that demon who had said she was Brody's girlfriend and use it on her. Dad had explained that she was trying to weaken me emotionally so they could swoop in and kill me off. He was not shocked by how quickly the demons learned about me once I started coming into my powers. I should have expected it.

At least the werewolves would be able to handle any damage I would be able to deal out. They all healed very fast, and the two we'd be working with were martial arts experts and would be training us that way. I'd learn ways to still my mind, so I could block out the auras I was now seeing everywhere. I had a massive headache. At least school was out for the summer next week. Dance team was over and so was lacrosse, so we wouldn't be juggling too much.

"Oh, I forgot my math book," Brody kissed me softly "I'll be right back."

"I'll sit here and talk to Kara," I smiled at him.

"Yeah, I'll keep her company," Kara assured him.

Brody ducked back inside and Kara and I sat down on the steps in front of the school. We were still talking when that demon walked up.

"I thought you knew to stay away from my boyfriend," she said.

"He's not your boyfriend," I knew I couldn't get my dagger out. Kara was sitting right there and other students were everywhere. Great, what was I supposed to do? I couldn't even hit her, and I'd not had any training yet, so I'm sure she could mop the floor with me. "Unless you're going to try to feed me more lies that he's lying to me about you."

"Of course he is," she stepped closer to me. She was on me before I knew what was going on. I'm pretty sure my head hit the brick wall of the building, but I can't be sure because my world went black.

"There's a main demon controlling several in the area," I think it was my dad's voice.

"If she takes that one out, will they all back off?" I'm pretty sure that was Brody.

I heard beeping, and I couldn't really move, but there was a warmth on my left hand that I could only attribute to Brody's hand holding mine. I couldn't open my eyes and I slipped out again.

"When was the last time you ate?" that could only be Sean.

"I don't know," yep, it was Brody.

"Come on, let's go get you something to eat," Nate was there too.

"No, I'm not leaving her," Brody sounded like he hadn't slept in days.

"What do you want? We'll go get it for you," Sean offered.

"I'd love some pizza if you don't mind," Brody said.

"Of course," Nate said. "We'll be right back."

Come on, eyes, open. There was pain in Brody's voice, and I wanted to take that away from him. "Come on, doll, come back to me." I squeezed his hand. "You can hear me?" his voice sounded better. "Can you open your eyes? Please? I want to see your pretty blue eyes."

I willed my eyes open with everything I had in me. "Where am I?" my voice came out in a croak.

"The hospital," Brody's voice flooded with relief. "The demon got to you, and threw you around like a rag doll a few times. We've been so worried about you." He lifted my hand and kissed it.