Chapter 15

Our next lesson with Finn was more of the same. Monday night's hunting proved fruitless. We didn't find any demons at all. We didn't find any a couple of days later when we went out either. I was getting a little worried.

There were no more demon spottings by the time I would be leaving to go to the beach with Brody. He was going to be driving separate from his parents, so Evan and Trevor didn't see our swords or my dagger. That would have been bad.

Just before Brody and I were finished loading up, Dad came out and gave us some packets of herbs and salt. He instructed me where to put them around the house in order to keep the family safe. He handed me notes on the words to use, and said that this would be all we should need. It was for wards and an alarm that would alert me if a demon got close. "You'll be fine," he assured me before I hopped in the Jeep. "Call me when you get there," he hugged me and kissed me on top of the head. "I'll see you in a week."

"Finally!" Brody locked the doors as he drove away. "Got you all to myself for the next four hours."

The drive to the beach was great. We didn't talk about demons or fighting or anything else. He tried to explain lacrosse to me a bit more, and I tried not to tune it out. I wanted to change the subject, so I asked him about the house and the area we'd be staying in. I love the beach, the Inman's have a place down in Virginia, and we always went to OceanCity in Maryland.

We were still talking when Brody pulled up in front of the house. "Do you know Trevor?" he pointed to Evan's friend.

"No, I don't think I've ever met him," I shook my head. Brody had a tendency to keep me away from Evan when I was at his house.

"They'll probably play a ton of video games," Brody rolled his eyes.

"Oh, and you don't play them with Sean?" I teased.

"Oh, shut up," he grumbled with a grin on his face. He walked around to the back and grabbed his bag. "Got your weapons stashed?"

"Yeah, I should be able to get them in with no problems," I took my own bag. It was heavy, but I didn't notice. "Want me to get yours too?"

"No, show off, I don't," he grabbed me and kissed me. "Come on, we'll figure out which room you're in."

The house was huge. He led me up the stairs, and showed me the room he always had, then pointed out Evan's. Down the hall a bit was Xander's room, and at the very end of the hall was Peter and Deanna's. Evan was just walking out of his room when we got to the top of the stairs.

"Trevor's taking Xander's room. He's not making it out here," Evan told Brody. "Where's she sleeping?"

"I guess the guest room," Brody sat his bag down. "I never did ask Mom."

"I thought I heard your voices," Deanna walked up behind us. "Emily, you'll be in the guest room, come on and I'll show you." She pushed passed the boys and led me down the hall. "I'm guessing Brody pointed out all the rooms to you."

"Yes, and Evan said his friend Trevor was going to be in Xander's room," I followed behind.

"Yes," Deanna opened a door. "This will be yours," she stepped in. After I was in, she closed the door. "We suspect that Brody will be down here, or persuade you to come down to his room. We trust you both to be safe." Uh-oh. That talk.

I was mortified. I'm sure I had to be about five shades of red, and I started babbling like I do sometimes when I get this embarrassed. "We, uh, um, we're not having sex."

"Maybe not now," Deanna said. "But, Peter and I see how the two of you look at each other," she looked at me. "I didn't mean to embarrass you, dear."